• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

3F in 50 Cal.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisS

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I usually loaded 80 grains of 2F.
I went to 75 grains of 3F last weekend.
I couldn't believe the increase in accuracy I was getting.
Maybe just a few lucky shots, i don't know.
This was in a TC hawken 1:66 with prb.
Anyone else have similar experiences.
I don't dare try it again for fear I won't be able to duplicate that group :grin: .
C.

Every rifle has a "sweet spot" and it sounds like you've found yours. Get back out and shoot it some more. My usual hunting load in my .50 GPR is 80 grains of FFFg and I pretty much use that for target shooting as well. Maybe I ought to try 75 grains but my measure only throws in 10 grain increments. :hmm:

Its about barrel harmonics, and yes, it has happened to me and many of the shooters at my local club. Every barrel is its own creature when it comes to finding a powder charge that it will really shoot well. Its always Spooky when you stumble into that "right load ", that shoots incredibly small groups. Your reaction is normal, but you will shoot it some more. Remember to note the patch material you use, the source of the balls you were shooting, their weight and diameter, the kind of percussion caps, as well as the powder charge. If you can run the load over a chronograph. Then, if you have to change components- even a different lot of powder from the same manufacturer may not be as " accurate"-- you can find that sweet spot again by using the chronograph to help you adjust the new components to get the same velocity.

TIP: Weather plays a huge factor in how well your gun fires groups. Sometimes, you have to raise or lower the charge by a grain or two to get the gun to shoot the same POI at the same distance- even off the same bench, at the same range! Any change in temperature, and humidity can cause a group to open or close. So, don't be blaming yourself for bad shooting the next time you fire that gun if you don't get that magical small group. The BP Gods were just showing you what is possible with your gun if you are nice to them! :rotf: :hmm: :thumbsup:

Each gun has it's own preference. Use whatever works best. You have to experiment and do a lot of shooting to find your best load.
My own deer hunting load is 70 grs. of 3F under a patched .490 rd. ball. My homemade rifle has a 42" barrel 1 in 66 twist. On a broadside, lung shot, the ball usually passes completely through.

I use an '06 shell full of 3F in my .50 1-48 w/PRB. with a Lee REAL it shoots good too but recoil is sharp.

Blizzard of 93 said:
I use an '06 shell full of 3F in my .50 1-48 w/PRB. with a Lee REAL it shoots good too but recoil is sharp.

When I went to 3F not only did I notice sharper recoil, it also went off with a sharper "CRACK!" more like a center fire rifle. With 2F my rifle reports with more of a "BOOM!" with more bass.

If any of that makes any sense to ya! :grin:

I work up loads 5 grains at a time for that very reason. I have a .54 GPR that shoots very well with most loads between 60 and 90 grains FFFG, but at 85 grains, the group is consistently more than an inch smaller. Seems like about half the time the rifle prefers a load in between 10 grain measurements (gee, what are the odds of that happening? :rotf:).

My powder measure only measures in 10 grain imcrements, so I just set it in the middle of them. I work up pistol loads in 1 grain increments for the same reason.

IMO, I think it takes many groups over different days and weather conditions to definitively nail down proof that one powder charge is more accurate than another, particularly when only a 5grn difference is being considered...if you shot 4-5 groups with each powder charge, on each of the next 3-4 range trips, and the slightly smaller charge gave tighter groups all the time, then you'd know for certain.

Back