• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

3F in a 50 cal?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

northernflinter

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I have been told that 3f is better in a 50cal, 70 to 75 grs. Anyone with advice. I only switched to a 50cal flintlock a year or so ago.

Depends on what your particular rifle likes. I use FFg in a .50 and FFFg in one .54 and FFg in the other.

With a flintlock it is handy to use one powder for main charge and prime - FFFg will do that.

I'd up it to 80 gr FFFg, but it may depend on which is more accurate.

That's what I use in a .50-cal T/C Hawken flinter. But I recommend that you experiment some, or maybe a lot. graybeard

As greybeard said, "experiment" with different loads. See which type powder gives the best accuracy at the ranges that you expect to shoot. I have one 50 cal flint rifle I use 70gr of 3f behind a patched round ball. My hunting situation is about 60 yards maximum range. I also have a 58 caliber that I load with 90gr of 3f. I have never lost a deer with these loads.

I have several TCs and I really see little difference between the two powders.
I think 3f is easier to handle. It measures better.

Been shooting 50 cal. flinter with 3F Goex for years and wouldn't change. Also primes as good as 4F, so it has an advantage you couldn't get with 4F.
No problem with cleaning when using Windex and water.

I just upped my 50 cal, Green Mountain bbl, from 75 gr of FFF Swiss to 90 and its seems to shoot better.
90 of FFF GOI was the accuracy load for a 50 I had 30 years ago.

Dan

I shoot 3f all the way up to .62 cal. The only gun that doesn't like it is my 12ga.

Back