• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.40 cal. Deer

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snowshoe

36 Cal.
Reaction score
After reading some discussion about the .40 calliber and deer hunting, I thought I would try my .40 GM barrel in my TC Hawken for a neck shot in the early doe season. The closest shot I could get was 60 yards so I put the bead on the chest area and shot from a good rest. I saw the small doe run about 35 yards and pile up. Upon investigation I found there was complete penetration through both lungs and a good enough blood trail. I was using 55 grains of Triple Sevin 3F and a .385 PBR, .018 patch lubed with Wonder Lube. I was impressed.
Shoe

The results were impressive for sure...and I may have a mental block but I'm struggling to follow the actuals...you mentioned neck shot, then the chest, then taking out both lungs, etc...what was the actual killing shot...and my apologies if its already very clear

Not at all...I saw that but there was also the comment about taking out both lungs and I normally associate that with a shot that comes in from a broadside angle, not a frontal shot...just trying to be sure I understand what actually happened...I have a .40cal Flinter myself and might just want to sit over a trail with it later this season myself

It's funny the different assumptions we make in reading various posts. It's a wonder we can communicate in writing at all. My assumption was that the shot was broadside, not frontal. We were both making assumptions because no mention was made in the post as to either side or front, only neck and chest, either of which could be hit from side or front.

Anyway, I'm right and you're wrong. :haha: :haha: I know this because my wife constantly says "you're always right, arent you?" :haha:

I agree about different assumptions...wars are started over different interpretations of the same situation :grin:

But to me, a chest shot is a shot in the front where the chest is...if I say I shot you in the chest, people would expect to find a hole in the front of your upper torso...and not think that I shot you in the armpit from the side :wink:

Didn't you hear me???? I'm right! :haha: :haha: If you shot me while I was sideways to you and hit me in the rib section, where would the police report say I was hit? :wink: More importantly, how many grains of powder and what patch lube would you be using? :haha: :haha:

Yea, but i want to hear about the 35 yd blood trail. If'n thats all the futher she run, he sholda see her fall :rotf: :rotf: . The main thing is he got one :thumbsup: ...Bud

I agree that this is pretty impressive. I acquired a .40 GM drop-in for a Renegade this past spring and have toyed with the idea of using it for deer as long as I had a really close shot.

NOW, however, :grin: I may loosen that up just a bit.

Thanks for sharing the story and congratulations on the deer.

:hatsoff:
Spot

Showshoe,

You have shown what a good hunter and a superb marksman can do with a 40 cal.

Great Job!

I would love to see some pictures.

HH

Hi Snowshoe,

a very well done shot. This shows again that shotplacement and distance are necessary to be checked up and if that is done a ML is a deadly hunting gun.

Regards

Kirrmeister

Great job,

I also shot a deer with a 40 caliber percussion rifle. The distance was between 65-70 yards. The deer was in a field in excellent light, standing broadside and intent on feeding. I have used this rifle for the majority of my shooting and have extreme confidence with it. At my shot the buck took off like well...a shot.
If I had not heard the hit I would have thought I missed. Lucky for me it ran parallel to the woods along the field until it veered into the woods in what turned out to be briars bushes. He if he had run in a straight line it would have close to a hundred yards. I had another person with me which was very helpful. I reloaded and gave the deer time to bleed. When we got there the four point was stone dead.

Here I guess are my observations
1) Blood around the mouth indicated a solid lung hits.
2) The ball went right through the buck which was smaller than average buck but still it surprised me at that range.
3) When we walked the field we noticed very little blood trail.
4) The 40 is defiantly a deer killer but it is not a deer stopper.

My advice is before you hunt deer with a 40 make sure your shooting and tracking skills are up to the task.

Back