• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.40 cal Piggy

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well, I finally found the pigs. Walked in about a quarter mile with a buddy after work. We were chasing squirrels on our way in and before we got to where we were going, the pigs came down the hill on top of us. Four of them at 15 yards and I shot first and he shot just a touch too late. I should have counted down to firing and there might have been two tasty critters down. Try again on Monday and see what happens.

Alex

Attachments

• IMG_20220224_183359958.jpg
    IMG_20220224_183359958.jpg
    157 KB
Thanks! Load was 30 grains of homebrew black powder with a bore butter lubed t-shirt patch and .395 cast round ball.

Pig dropped like a sack of bricks from the head shot...downside was the ball traveled through the back of the skull and lodged in the offside scapula. Normally, that would be a good thing, but I don't typically play with spinal fluid, so I left a lot of neck meat that would have otherwise been excellent for the pot.
Upside was that I got 12-14 inches of penetration with that load and full weight retention on the ball. Other upside is that smoked pig is tasty.

I can add some images of that as long as there are no qualms about the amount of blood.

Alex

Well, I finally found the pigs. Walked in about a quarter mile with a buddy after work. We were chasing squirrels on our way in and before we got to where we were going, the pigs came down the hill on top of us. Four of them at 15 yards and I shot first and he shot just a touch too late. I should have counted down to firing and there might have been two tasty critters down. Try again on Monday and see what happens.

Alex
Congratulations. That is on my bucket list of hunts to take...

Nic

Alex
Nice. Congrats. I discovered the .40 fast twist a few yrs ago & now have one in a sidelock & one in an in-line.

Back