• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

40 cal prb?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sar

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Too big for small game? (squirrels and rabbits)
Too small for deer?

How many grains does a .395 lead ball weigh?

I forget the weight but I have taken several nice Blacktails with the .40 I do consider it a sub 50 yds or closer range gun though, if you can't hunt like an archer and hold yer water till the time is right it may not be the deer gun for you.

Thanks. I want to build a rifle mainly for small game and was actually thinking about the 40 york rifle kit that's in the classifieds...I wonder if its a bit big for squirrel.

Many find the .36 and even .32 to be a bit big for squirrel. That's considering body hits though. It's probably a bit small for deer too, but head shots on small game should be no problem and then it ought to be big enough for predators like coyote and cats.

Smallest I use for small game is .45. But.. that's the smallest I own :haha: .50 and .54 does fine for me if confined to head shots.

Is the .40 caliber roundball legal for deer hunting in your state?

.38 cal is the smallest legal in WV for deer hunting. I have a .40 and as stated by the others it is hard on body shots but any will work if kept in the head area when small game hunting. I only used it for one deer and went to a .50 then a .54 One good thing about a .40 is that when squirrel hunting in cold weather the RBs are easier to hold onto if not loading from a loading block compared to say a .32 or .36 The .40 is nice for target or comp. shooting as well.

sar said:
Too big for small game? (squirrels and rabbits)
Too small for deer?

How many grains does a .395 lead ball weigh?

With my 40 caliber I have taken Coyotes, turkeys, squirrels (head shots), and rabbits. For any of these game it is excellent. Not excessive on the meat damage.

I have taken one deer with my forty most likely it will be my last. If you are good shot, a patient hunter and have a tracking skill the 40 may be all you need. I will use my larger gun from now on.

I heard it said on this forum about the 45 caliber, but IMHO the 40 is the 243 of the muzzle loading world.

BTW a 40 caliber ball weighs 93 grains

Hope this was helpful.

"...I wonder if its a bit big for squirrel"

It is really not much different than a .36 many use the .45 for tree rats and go for head shots I have used a .40 and .45 for them and if I don't take a head shot I shoot them in the middle I don't eat that part anyway though cleaning is a bit more messy, off late I have found a smoothbore and shot to be my squirrel gun and I can also put a ball in place of the shot and have a deer gun, over the years I have leaned toward simplicity in what and how I hunt.

Back