• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.40cal V hare.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeffinNZ

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I was at the Xmas shoot and on the Sunday morning thought I would look for one of the many hares that lives in the locality.
I loaded up my Wesson .40cal RB rifle and headed up through the gong range in the bush to the top of the river terrance. Just outside of the bush line about 30 yards away was a big hairy (harey?) rock. A .395 RB over 30gr of 3Fg Swiss dropped her on the spot. I normally only shoot a 25gr charge on target and gongs but threw expense to the wind and loaded the extra 5gr...... :haha:
Bit of a gift shot really. I was in the bush in th shade, she was in the sun contrasted against the green grass and I had a tree to lean on. Well, gotta get lucky one day ah?
target_hair.jpg

Oh they are pretty large. Three times the size of a bunny easy. I reckon she would have gone 10-12 pounds. There is a POWER of meat on them and it is poor man's venison.

We have cottontails here about the size of both yer fists side by side. The jack rabbits are about the size of a house cat.

Thats one tiny gun ya got there!

Holy good Martha...that bunny is dang near as big as some of the low end song dogs I've laid claim to.

That looks like some good hunting!

Dang! Y'all grow some BIG bunnies down there! :shocked2:

Do them things charge when wounded?

Jeff - By any chance do you know Bryce Schou?

I'ver known him for a lot of years on P&V and SC boards. He's sent me a bunch of pictures of the hare he's taken down there. We tried to get together to hunt about 3-4 years ago... either him here or me there, but neither of us got away that year.

Anyway, seems like he's told me of a friend named Jeff before.

:hmm:

Nope, can't say that I do. Will keep an ear out for the name round the ranges though.

You said that it was it was poor mans venison but are they any good to eat? How about being tough? Just wondering. Here in wv cotton tails are good eating!!! :thumbsup:

Yes, very good to eat. Seriously like venison as the meat is dark, not pale like bunny.
Hares are much smarter also and true game animals. This one was consumed this evening by a Welsh gent with whom I work.

:thumbsup: looks like fun. Good shooting and great pic. :thumbsup:

wvbuckbuster said:
You said that it was it was poor mans venison but are they any good to eat? How about being tough? Just wondering. Here in wv cotton tails are good eating!!! :thumbsup:

Many species of the worlds hares are tasty, including I've heard the European hare in NZ. Many only because some are generally only considered so when young and tender, like our two species of jackrabbits in NA, which are true hares (Lepus). Snowshoe (Artic) hares are our main "hare" table fodder in NA along with their cousins... all of our many species of cottontails. Another cousin, the Pika, is also good eating, but so tiny they offer very little meat.

Back