• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.45 cal T/C Maxi-hunter mold

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kickstartcycles

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Anyone have or ever see a .45 cal T/C Maxi-hunter mold? I need a 255grain or larger .45 bullet to hunt with and know those are accurate with my Seneca. I have a .45 T/C Maxi-ball mold and wonder if they made a Maxi-hunter mold.

Lenard

I have a .50 max-hunter mold, will go out and look in my old catalogs to see if they made a .45 mold. Dilly

www.neihandtools.com

You could try these fellas as well as lyman who might make a maxi ball mold for your 45 as well.

Seem to remember them having one but best to try their site.

also do a goggle for bullet mold there a lot of people making molds to order as well

Last edited by a moderator:
My 1990 calalog lists one no. 7374 it makes a 255gr bullet. Reg maxi-ball is 240grs. Dilly

Lee makes an Improved Minie mould in .450 and .454, both with weights over 290 grains. Midway has them for cheap. Both shoot well in my Seneca but do kick some. Haven't tried the REAL yet, but they work well in 50 and 54 so I would expect similar performance in the 45.

Just wondering, how well do those TC maxi-hunters shoot in your Seneca?? I recently got a seneca of mine own, and I am still looking for the best load.

From what I have seen each barrel has it's own favorite bullet and load. I have two .45 Seneca barrels one will key hole everything but Bufflo Bore bullets. The other likes the Maxi-balls best but shoots the Maxi-hunters okay. But the Maxi-balls are under the 255gr weight required to hunt with legally.

If I don't find one soon I'll have one of my Maxi-ball molds modified to get up the 255gr requirement.

I have thought about a Lee mold but have never had good luck casting with them I gave the last one of their molds to my dad. I'm not a fan of the aluminum blocks they use and he prefers them.

Have you looked for a standard .45 pistol bullet mold that may be 255,265, 285, 290, or 300 grains to use in that rifle? Lyman and NEI and others have all kinds of molkds for heavy pistol bullets out now, and its just a matter of sizing them down to the diamter you need in the rifle. A couple of the bullet companies sell Sized and lubricated 300 grain .45 caliber bullets also. Take a look through Brownell's catalogue, for instance, to see what is offered. I think you should be able to find a bullet that works in any .45 caliber barrel, provided its sized down. The cost of a sizing die the correct diameter would be worth the expense.

You might even want to look at .44 magnum bullets, cast lead, of course, that come in .429 diameter, and then paper patch them to fit your .45. For info on paper patching, see:

http://members.shaw.ca/bobschewe/

Latest posts

Back