• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

45 call ball size/load

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

firedogross

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Picked up a FIE Italian 45 cal. Kentucky rifle made in 1976 for $100. Never had a .45 long gun. I do have .44 pistols though. My question is what size ball is the biggest I can go in this rifle with say a .10 patch? If you haven't guessed, having interchangeable ammo between my .44 pistols and .45 rifle would be nice :hmm: . If not I'll head to gun store. At work, but I'm pretty sure my pistol balls are .454 and .457.
fff7434.jpg

Generic image of same gun found online

Your .454 and .457 diameter roundballs will need a large mallet to start them into the bore.

When you do get them started you will find they caused the patch to be cut or ripped.

Damaged patches will never give a gun good accuracy.

Bite the bullet (or ball) and buy some .440 diameter roundballs for your rifle.
(They will also work well in a .45 cal single shot pistol).

If it's a true .450" bore, .440"s & .018" patches should be an excellent combination...you'll want to use a short, and accuracy should be very good.

Back