• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.45 legal for Elk?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bretwalda

40 Cal.
Reaction score
This not a question about is this a big enough bore to do the job :shake: ...I am just curious if any state allows the hunting of elk with a .45 ML :hmm: ...all responces will be appreciated. :hatsoff:

Not in Idaho. I have a 475 gr bullet for my 45 and that would be MORE than enough. I think that Idaho should have a minimum weight for a bullet and do away with the cal restriction. Ron

In Colorado the minimum is a .50 cal with round ball. Elk do need a lot of killing power. Agree that a .45 with 400+grs can get the job done, but the Division of Wildlife initially set up their requirements years ago to satisfy the inputs from traditional muzzleloaders.

" the Division of Wildlife initially set up their requirements years ago to satisfy the inputs from traditional muzzleloaders."

Now a little more of that attitude would be nice to see around the country,it might just put Toby and friends out of buisness.

Now a little more of that attitude would be nice to see around the country,it might just put Toby and friends out of buisness.

Heh, Heh! Those in line peddlers hate colorado. We are rated as one of the six most restrictive on ml equipment. :)

Amen to that - I just surfed his BLOG - All I can say is I couldn't believe what he was saying.
:barf: :bull: :idunno:

Idaho Ron said:
Not in Idaho. I have a 475 gr bullet for my 45 and that would be MORE than enough. I think that Idaho should have a minimum weight for a bullet and do away with the cal restriction. Ron
at one time it was legal in Idaho. i shot an elk there with my 451 Whitworth and a 490 gr. slug, got total penetration.

It's OK in Washington (though I doubt I'd ever try it, except maybe with a heavy maxi ball). From the 2009 regulations:

A muzzleloading shotgun or rifle used
for deer must be .40 caliber or larger.
Buckshot size #1 or larger may be used in a
smoothbore of .60 caliber or larger for deer.
c. A muzzleloading shotgun, rifle, or handgun
used for all other big game must be .45
caliber or larger

Yes, Mr Bridges - He really is a piece of work - IN LINE this IN LINE that - Sellout - guess he has to - helps his sponsorship I guess.

451whitworth said:
Idaho Ron said:
at one time it was legal in Idaho. i shot an elk there with my 451 Whitworth and a 490 gr. slug, got total penetration.

I want more info!!! What bullet, you know the drill. Man I would have liked to have been there just to see that. Now I am jealous!!! :hatsoff: :hatsoff: Ron

Jerimiah Johnson did it with a 36 cal cuz that was all he could get in Missouri. By this logic I can use a 32 cal maxi ball on white tail deer but Illinois requires a 45 for deer, personally I use a 54 for Illinois deer. Remember that the Elk in Washington state compared to the Elk in Idaho are different sub species. The Elk in Washington are smaller that the Idaho Elk I do not remember the specific species name.

Its a .50 caliber minimum in Oregon.

The Elk in Washington are smaller that the Idaho Elk I do not remember the specific species name.

Actually, you've got it backwards. Roosevelt elk in the coast range are the largest subspecies of elk (not counting the extinct eastern elk).

buttonbuck said:
Jerimiah Johnson did it with a 36 cal cuz that was all he could get in Missouri. By this logic I can use a 32 cal maxi ball on white tail deer but Illinois requires a 45 for deer, personally I use a 54 for Illinois deer. Remember that the Elk in Washington state compared to the Elk in Idaho are different sub species. The Elk in Washington are smaller that the Idaho Elk I do not remember the specific species name.

I am fully aware that there are different species of elk. Typically Roosevelt elk has a larger body but smaller antlers. Ron

Most states probably look at the common ML projectiles which woud be the ball,and not consider the long heavier bullets,as most ML hunts were set up so one steps back in technology and range of the weapon so to be much less effective than the centerfires, some folks just don't "get" this concept, but that is another thread or two of its own.

tg said:
Most states probably look at the common ML projectiles which woud be the ball,and not consider the long heavier bullets,as most ML hunts were set up so one steps back in technology and range of the weapon so to be much less effective than the centerfires, some folks just don't "get" this concept, but that is another thread or two of its own.

The topic is, Is a 45 legal in your state for elk. Ron

Yes, as far as I can tell - TX has no minimum caliber muzzleloader requirement. :thumbsup:

KHickam said:
Yes, as far as I can tell - TX has no minimum caliber muzzleloader requirement. :thumbsup:
Yer right, aint no minimum caliber in Tejas for any muzzle loaders. Lil light for elk, but it can be done.

Idaho Ron said:
451whitworth said:
Idaho Ron said:

I want more info!!! What bullet, you know the drill. Man I would have liked to have been there just to see that. Now I am jealous!!! :hatsoff: :hatsoff: Ron
that bullet was the Lyman mould that came with the 1st gen. PH whitworth over 90grs. of Pyrodex RS and the year was 1995. it was in the Lost River Range east of Challis, ID. the shot was on a 5x6 bull at 60 yards quatering towards and that slug broke the shoulder/leg, took off the top of the heart, got the lungs, went through the paunch and exited the ham. he tried to stagger but just crumpled. my friend who lived in Idaho was with me holding my T/C Renegade .58 and as we approached, the bull started kicking and he put a PRB into the chest as insurance. the other thing that stays with me about that hunt was how freakin' heavy that rifle was in those mountains

tg said:
actually most states don't look at it that way TG. i understand where you are coming from and the western states that have those rules. elk and mule deer populations don't bounce back as fast as whitetails. and I "get" the concept and personally feel that my 16 bore RB gun and my .451 Whitworth are about equal in range and game taking ability. i.e. i would take the same shot with either rifle out to 125-150 yards max depending on conditions.

Back