• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

45 prb with 50 grains for deer?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elbow

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Forgive me for asking but I am kind of new to this game. I have been shooting 50 grains of Pyrodex with a 440 patched round ball and it is deadly accurate my question is is this an acceptable load for whitetails and black bear? Some deer in my part of Vermont can be 200 pounds dressed. Also what would be an acceptable maximim range for deer using this load? Any help appreciated. Thanks Craig.

elbow said:
Forgive me for asking but I am kind of new to this game. I have been shooting 50 grains of Pyrodex with a 440 patched round ball and it is deadly accurate my question is is this an acceptable load for whitetails and black bear? Some deer in my part of Vermont can be 200 pounds dressed. Also what would be an acceptable maximim range for deer using this load? Any help appreciated. Thanks Craig.
I hunt with a 45 prb and use 70 grains of 3f schuetzen and it works very well. I limit my shots to under 75 yards but most are taken around 30 and it lays the smack down on big Kansas and Michigan bucks. Although 50 grains is likely more then enough I run 45 for a target load with the same gun. I would try around 70 grains and see what the performance is. Mine shoots to around the same point of impact from 10-70 yards with the powder change.

Looking at Hodgdon's site it states that RS with a .440" RB gave 1574 fps with 50 grns. A .440" RB has a BC 0.062. I gave it a 700 ft elevation, and at 40 yds that ball would have 1216 fps and 420 ft/lbs, and at 50 yds it would have 1152 fps and 377 ft/lbs. Judging by what many claim to be effective that seems to be about the end of it. All of that assuming your velocity would be about that. Others more knowledgeable would have to substantiate that though.

I have 2 45 cal. TC Senecas and I have killed deer with 50grs of FFFg.I have used both RB's and maxis.Hit them behind the shoulder in the lungs or heart and it will be fine.

Pyrodex RS, or P? Between my wife, huntin buddy, Tater, and myself, we've killed over 2 doz whitetails and mulies with 440prb and 60gr-3Fg. The only ball we've ever found was in my wife's 1st mulie doe. The 56yd shot hit center breast, under the throat, and was found in front of the right side hip joint. If your using 50gr-RS, then i'd stay under 60-65yds. If'n the old timer could kill a 1800lb Buff with a 45-70 springfield, then you should be able to get the job done with a 45-60 mzldr. Only the weight of the projectile changes. This info is for deer only, bears are a Different critter. AS ALWAYS; shot placement trumps everything!!!

After trying other loads I settled on 65 gr. bp for deer and it gives me excellent results out to 100 yards (my limit).
Personally, I would not attempt taking a black bear with a .45. In hopes of killing bruin I had a .54 built.

For deer, certainly. I use 60 to 70 grains depending on which rifle I take out. If a .357mag with a 125grn bullet at 1350fps to 1400fps kills them DRT, a .45 prb at 1350 will also. Never shot a bear so can't comment on that.

Never shot a bear so can't comment on that.
Neither have I but lack of experience has never stopped me from commenting or having opinions on a subject. :wink:
Actually, I have long wanted to have a successful bear hunt. I have read many articles on the subject of bear hunting, including shot placement, etc. I have a thick file of those articles and two books, written by Alaskans on the subject.
From what I have gleaned in my non-first hand research is that the combination of thick fur, thick tough skin, thick tough muscle, thick hard bones make a formidable barrier to a ball penetrating to vital organs. Even with smaller black bears you need more gun than what will work on thin skinned deer.

Just a different viewpoint to consider...there are a lot of variables that come in to play in a hunting environment. Low to moderate powder charges, particularly in a smallish caliber to begin with, do nothing to offset / compensate for some of those variables.

IMO, a 50-60grn powder charge in a .45cal using a little 128grn ball is basically a small game / target plinking load. Another perspective about .45cal PRB powder charges to think about is that T/C's load data chart lists a suggested operating range of 50-110grns...50grns being the absolute bottom, entry-level, weakest powder charge of all those recommended.

As a different example, my .45cal PRB whitetail deer hunting load in thick woods settings has always been 90grns Goex 3F, and I've never had any reason to use anything less.
My philosophy is I'd rather have the extra oomph and not need it than need it and not have it...I don't ever want to be faced with a Boone & Crockett buck momentarily stepping into view at 100yds and be holding a little .45cal rifle with an entry level plinking load in it.

Your mileage may vary of course, and you can just pass on such a shot at a trophy because you definitely shouldn't try to kill it at that range with such a weak charge...but if you're going to go big game hunting, my advice is to go prepared for as many eventualities that you can by using a proper big game hunting load.
:wink:

Rifleman1776 said:
Never shot a bear so can't comment on that.
Neither have I but lack of experience has never stopped me from commenting or having opinions on a subject. :wink:
Actually, I have long wanted to have a successful bear hunt. I have read many articles on the subject of bear hunting, including shot placement, etc. I have a thick file of those articles and two books, written by Alaskans on the subject.
From what I have gleaned in my non-first hand research is that the combination of thick fur, thick tough skin, thick tough muscle, thick hard bones make a formidable barrier to a ball penetrating to vital organs. Even with smaller black bears you need more gun than what will work on thin skinned deer.
That's right I never heard of or seen one being killed with a 30-30 :rotf: ...Bud

Latest posts

Back