• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

5 Photos should equal another good season!!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roundball

Cannon
Reaction score
If I can't christen my new .62cal smoothbore Virginia in this setting I might as well take up tiddly-winks ! :grin:

Appears to be a decent acorn crop in the little oak flat I like to hunt...picked these up right in front of the new location of the ladder stand.
Next 4 photos are 35 yard views from the stand.

ACORNS

091310acornsinhat.jpg

MAIN VIEWS FROM LADDER STAND LOCATIONS

1-LadderNEview1.jpg

2-LadderNEview2.jpg

3-LadderNEview3.jpg

4-LadderNEview4.jpg

what's with the ladder stand I thought you were a ground blind man???LOL

Nice set up should be able to top last year I figure with one ball Two deer :wink:

Sold my climber and loc-ons years ago, ground blinds ever since...except...one location (the photos) where the wind is finicky...my ground blind is only 20 yards away.

I use the natural ground blind there 99% of the time knowing the wind direction before I leave the house, but if it swings around and starts from a bad direction as it occasionally does while I'm there, I gear up and climb the ladder.
Its an oversize, so-called magnum stand...roomy and comfortable, and well braced off solid as a rock.

That looks okay, but I'll need GPS coordinates to be sure! :grin: Looks great!

Looks good Roundball :hatsoff:
We are leaving on the 4th to head up to stokes co.
I will swing by to get my hat on the way through :rotf: :rotf:
Looks like you are ready, I hear its startin to cool off at night up there, cant wait! Its like deer hunters paradise!
Good luck to ya! :v

Yes, its been a tough year for heat in terms of days over 90*...most high 90's tpo low 100's...2-3 days to go to break the old record and that could happen this week...a couple more 90+ days predicted.
But at least the night time temps go all the way back down to the 50's...another 3-4 weeks it should be getting right for hunting

roundball said:
I use the natural ground blind there 99% of the time knowing the wind direction before I leave the house, but if it swings around and starts from a bad direction as it occasionally does while I'm there, I gear up and climb the ladder.
Its an oversize, so-called magnum stand...roomy and comfortable, and well braced off solid as a rock.

Hope you have a great season roundball. Looks like a good acorn crop. That can help and hurt. Good that there's plenty of acorns but the bad is the deer and hogs don't have to travel as far to feed. I have two ladder stands both oversized. I like the extra room to move around on and for my possibles. As I get older I like to carry a back pack with a big thermos, something to eat, binoculars, good camera, camo pee jug, flashlight, mouth calls, more snacks and food, hunting regulations booklet to read and study, walkie talkie, pistol, all the things Daniel Boone had in his oversized ladder stand. The oversized stands today don't cost anymore and for me they're a plus. I also use the popup blinds, two popups, two different patterns and two different colors. I like them because I can hunt a different location easily and they're great for those extra cold and rainy days when I can wrap a blanket or sleeping bag around me and sit in a warm folding camp chair. I like to rough it. I also like the inexpensive, light to carry, and easy to put up 3ft x 8ft camo cloth (or burlap) blind when I want to move around, get down in the rough with them, and ambush a good deer. Easy to attach to a couple trees in front of you, sit down and wait. It mostly depends on the day, if I want to stay still or move around, the weather, and how I want to hunt that day. I think hunting the same way in the same place every hunt has cost allot of hunters good deer. They can get used to you being there and go around you. My theory is move around and be where they don't expect you.

I just moved away from the hanging stands and started using ladder stands, they are so cheap now you can get a single cheaper than a hanging with all the steps. We had a good (and early)acorn drop this year and spent the last 2 weeks bow hunting in the oaks, saw tons of deer and made some meat for the table. I love hunting in acorns because you never know what you are going to see and where it will come from because of the way they mill around in all directions, makes for some interesting shooting positions.

Sure looks like a beautiful spot, Roundball. I have a two-person ladder stand that gives me room for all my stuff AND to get in a comfy position and stay still. Of course staying awake is the hard part :haha:

I look forward every year to the couple weeks of beautiful fall foliage and cool October/November temps...just can't have a bad time sitting in that environment whether I tag one or not.
I like getting out a few mornings in the spring for turkeys...but the fall is where its really at for me.
:wink:

roundball said:
I like getting out a few mornings in the spring for turkeys...but the fall is where its really at for me.
What you said. No better way to charge my battery than to spend time in the woods in the fall. It doesn't matter if I'm hunting, trekking, or just wandering around with my camera, being out there gets the job done.

BTW, here is a view from one of my stands, and me looking out at it. :grin:

standview.jpg

Stander.jpg

Spence

George said:
What you said. No better way to charge my battery than to spend time in the woods in the fall. It doesn't matter if I'm hunting, trekking, or just wandering around with my camera, being out there gets the job done.
That's it...I get down, warm, and comfortable in a natural blind, legs stretched out, thermos of hot coffee & soup, etc...look, listen, & smell the wooods...heck, I don't even try real hard anymore to keep from dozing off for a few minutes
:grin:

with all that heat in the day where you gonna park the ice truck for them deers you shoot RB??LOL

nice spot there spence :thumbsup:

:grin: ...by the first week of November its usually in the 20's at first light...just right !

DSC03070.jpg

DSC03067.jpg

DSC02954.jpg

here's a few from my ground blinds

no need for ice in a bag up here either.LOL

Back