• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

$5 Will Answer Many Questions - Since 1954

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Been on this forum for a few months - enjoying reading everything. Lots of questions - good, honest questions - from all sorts of folks. Many I think I know the answers, but couldn't remember from whence that knowledge originated. Things like "What's the best charge for my Colt revolver?" "When was my old gun made?" "How do I ...made hardtack", "Home made bluing formula?" etc. etc.

Sources for obsolete guns, retail prices, patterns for authentic clothing, - Cannons, knives, stuff you need and stuff you want. Books, prints, tools. Descriptions photographs, exploded drawings of parts, hides and hats. 592 pages of information for FIVE DOLLARS ? Dixie Gunworks Catalog. Yup, that's where I read it.
My earliest DGW catalog is 1971 - much thinner but even then, information - important stuff was included. Got my new one this week.

Had the honor of meeting Turner Kirkland at the store many decades ago. Catalog brings back memories AND stuff I sorta remembered. Best five bucks I'll spend all year.

My earliest DGW cat. was 1954. My crazy uncle gave it to my dad , and it eventually went to the special source library , the toilet. Yea , we had an indoor bathroom. But when your a kid , and dad didn't speak muzzleloader language , ya had ta figger it out for yourself. Dad wanted the catalog to order .22 single shot rifle barrel reliners , to replace shot out rifling. I didn't get muzzleloading , until my cousin , (crazy uncles' son) brought his single barrel Belgian m/l shotgun over for me to see. In the back yard , there was a mud puddle. We blasted most of the water out of the puddle , and that was enough to start me on a life long m/l journey. Crazy uncle might not have been so crazy after all. He said he couldn't afford to keep my two cousins in ammo , and keep food on the table. , thus muzzleloaders were cheaper to shoot.................oldwood

The only thing better than a DGW catalog is going to Union City and buying stuff first hand.
I tell all my TN and KY clients to go their, you will never regret it.

Oh, there's enough misinformation along with real information in the Dixie Gun Works Catalog to keep topics in the Forum going on for a long time. I've been getting the Dixie Catalog for years. Too bad they don't update some of their information as quickly as their prices.

Several things change over the years, but customer courtesy is one reason I enjoy sourcing Dixie over some others. The phone is answered by real, live folks who take time to answer my "stupid-to-others" questions and have always steered me to the correct item. They're not always the least expensive but I've never received the wrong thing.

I liked all the data on like , how much did an inch of a certain octagon barrel weigh? I could plan a rifle and know it's weight before building. , etc.

The farm we lived on when I was a teenager was part of the battleground of the Battle of Cloyd’s Mountain. On the centennial anniversary of the end of Mr. Lincoln’s illegal war against his own countrymen we were settin’ around on tthe porch when this car with Tennessee tags rolled down the hill and these two dapper dudes with their sportcoats and bow ties and their wives in their Sunday finery got out & asked if they could look around with their metal detectors. They’d dig up some rusty chunk’a somethin’ and ooh & aah over it. Just looked like junk to me but they was excited about it. Wasn’t til 6 or 7 years later when I got my first Dixie catalog that I discovered it was Turner Kirkland, his brother and their wives. Didn’t bother to tell them my brother and I had 2 or 3 ‘Jumbo Peanutbutter’ jars plumb full of bullets we’d picked up out of the road after rains.

Latest posts

Back