• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

50 Cal CVA Mountain Stalker Range Report / Patch Suggestions

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The gun is a .50 Cal CVA Mountain Stalker 1:48 twist with a Spitfire nipple and Williams Fire Sights. The gun is an older gun that has not seen much use probably about 100 PRB and about 35 370g TC Maxi Balls have been sent down range.

The load is 85g of Goex ffg, .490 Speer PRB, .015 TC pre-lubed patches. This load is intended for deer hunting in the fall.

The accuracy seems pretty good at 30 yards as I working on dialing in the new sights but the patches are taking a beating. I could only find two of the used patches.

The patches are a few years old and perhaps they have deteriorated.I definitely need to do something different about the patches and I look forward to any suggestions you might have.

Bob

Muzzleloader4-5-2010.jpg

this is what i tried 70g3f .18 patch tc1000 lubed, 490 rb, the patches have a good burn pattern no burn through keep in mind i have the bobcat 50, 1:48, also get same 3 pattern always last three shots, 3/4" or less out of ten, best i have done was a 1/2" 4 shot group using above load, would like to post but no cam, or scan, will post at some time. just my .02

Try 60 grains of FFg with a .495 ball, and new patches made of .018" thick mattress ticking. Lube them as you wish, but make sure you wash the material to remove the "sizing " that is put in them by the fabric maker. The sizing interferes with the fabric taking on lube.

Yes, the three together were the last three. I was adjusting the new sights to get in the ball park on two of the other three, one I just pulled the shot.

I know that my patch is to loose as I can seat the PRB in the barrel with moderate force from my thumb. I run a spit patch and then a dry patch between shots.

I will pick up some thicker patches to try first and if I can find a small pack of .495 balls I will get those as well.

What is the difference between pillow ticking and mattress ticking? Would the local fabric shop have this?

Thank you both for your suggestions.

Bob

Ticking for making pillows is thinner, than the ticking used to make Mattresses. They may FEEL the same to the uninformed, but all you have to do is expose the mattress on your bed, and the pillow you sleep on and feel the two fabrics, to know the difference.

Your local fabric store should have mattress ticking, but don't be surprised if they don't know the difference, either. :( :shocked2: :rotf: :hmm: :thumbsup:

i think wal world has it, the mattress ticking? i know they have the pillow, make smoke :thumbsup:

When you buy fabric, WASH IT- to get out the sizing. Sizing is a starch like substance put in the fabric to help it compress and stay smooth for putting on the " bolt" and for shipping. But, it keeps the cloth from absorbing oil and moisture- and that isn't going to help you lubricate it consistently.

And, there is a Coarse side, and a Smooth side to ticking. Use the coarse side Against the Ball, and the smooth side against the barrel, for better accuracy.

How to tell the difference? You should be able to feel it, but if you can't, hold a strip of fabric up to sunlight. The smoother side will reflect light better, as seen at a 5-10 degree angle to the surface of the fabric. Finally, the smooth side's colors are Not as vivid as those on the coarse side.

Back