• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

50 cal to .59 smoothbore

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

54mountain

45 Cal.
Reaction score
First let me tell you whats up, I have an old t/c hawken and the .50 barrel was getting to where it was pitted pretty bad so I bought a 54 GM barrel. Then I got thinkin' since I work in a machine shop that I would try to bore my old barrel out so I would have a shotgun barrel that would drop into my stock (read this as free shotgun :haha:) so anyway this works out quite nice. Now to my question my finished bore mics out at .593 I am wondering what size roundball would work in a bore this size gun, a friend shoots a .58 cal .570 rb and I am wondering if these balls and a heavy patch might work.

Don't know about the .570's but working in a machine shop, why not just make a .585 rb mold?.

Cody

Don't know about the .570's but working in a machine shop, why not just make a .585 rb mold?.

Cody

The .570 may work fine, and you may not need a thick patch. There are no grooves in a smoothbore barrel for the patching to compress into like in a rifle. Normally you want a ball about .020 under bore size in one. Try some of them out and see.

Aren't we gun tinkerers funny folks. You bore out a rifle to make a shotgun and the first thing you want to do is shoot a ball out of it! :rotf:

CoyoteJoe said:
Aren't we gun tinkerers funny folks. You bore out a rifle to make a shotgun and the first thing you want to do is shoot a ball out of it! :rotf:

I was thinking the exact same thing! :youcrazy:

We can laugh with you 54, cause we all been there and done that and probably will again. Your next project could be to make a 22 gauge wad cutter to fit that .593" bore. :grin:

I'm using 20 gauge wads with no problem, but you're right about us tinkerers we're all just a little :youcrazy: My next project is a b rass barrel .50 cal smoothbore pistol I made the barrel a while back and a buddy is setting it in a cherry stock as we speek. :grin: :grin:

Cody said:

Cody
I thought about it,I made one for my swivel gun but we don,t have a ball cutter the right size and they may frown on me orderin' a $60.00 end mill for a personal project :grin: :grin: :grin:

Thanks for the offer, but I think I'm going to try a few things out and see if I can get it to shoot balls from a standard mold first as I don,t know how much I'll use it for rbs yet I'll keep you in mind if it gets real serious. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Back