• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.50 Cal Traditions Trapper

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nappers

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Gang,

Finally got around to shooting my Traditions Trapper Model percussion .50 caliber. I bought it from The Gun Works here on the west coast. Joe and Suzi are great people and they have good prices, not taking away from TOW or Dixie, but they are comparable.

I shot off the bench using sand bags, ranged 15 yards and started with 20gr of 3f and ended up with using 35gr of 3f, .490 ball and PT mic'd at .22 average, I used Remington caps.

The first two shots was in the ring above bullseye, 2nd group of two shots was to the right of bullseye. 3rd group of two shots was just below bullseye and a nice clover group where it shot the remaining 2-3 shots. My girlfriend shot it as well and hit same spot as I did on final grouping. To add, I found some patches and they only had a slight fraying on the edges and the patch was "molded" where it was on the ball when it fired. No tears, torn up or nothing! Seems to like that combo.....

I don't have a pix as I accidently threw away my target!!!! But it was a blast! It's a nice shooting gun.

I took her home and cleaned and ran a jag with some stainless steel scrub pad (not the whole thing mind you) and scrubbed the bore with it to knock down burrs and machine marks at the suggestion of my buddy who shoots ML's a lot. I got the first scrubbing of stainless scrubbing stuck in barrel, a bent wire hanger removed it easily. I used a breech scraper and gave it a good hydro clean with dishsoap in warm water, dried immediately and oiled her up. I can't wait to take it out again and see how it shoots at farther distances as I have been to a rondy and loved it.

The Trapper model is a nice shooting gun and it was relatively cheap to purchase. I may try my .497 balls and go from there.

It was funny, it's been a while since I shot my ML rifle and had to sit down and think about things and be careful and it was fun anyways. My girlfriend was firing away with her XD .40 duty gun. She thought it was slow to load, I said that's half the fun!

I'll put pix up and not throw away the target next time. We were shooting our duty weapons and I was shooting my Colt Commander .45 and had a blast! I'm hoping to get her hooked on ML'ing and get her a ML rifle and pistol.

This site is awesome, I check it all the time and read a lot of threads. Thanks for all you do, admin, mods and regulars. You guys are full of information and more than willing to help us pilgrims. And you that make stuff are true artists! I am getting my feet wet with leather. I want to make a box for the pistol with a felt lining and molded for the gun and make a better holster for it.

L8R

Aaron
Nappers
"Patches"

The gun is brand new and I love it!

Glad you are happy with your Trapper pistol. I got mine used from a member here several years ago and it has been fun right from the start. Using my standard .490 balls and a .015 patch it is more accurate than I can shoot. (That isn't a challenge but at least it is a standard. :wink: )

Another benefit I've found is that it's a great teaching tool, especially for smaller folks. I'm taking a friend out this weekend for his first BP experience and the Trapper is the first gun I chose.

Enjoy your next session.

Jeff

You should find that you can get good accuracy at least to 50 yards. I shoot the Kentucky model and can keep all shots in the black at 25 yards and all on scoring rings at 50 yards (offhand). Off of bench/bags all shots can be kept within the 8-10 rings. I get good results with 25 grns.ffg. 35 grn. fffg should be about top end for a load in that pistol.

I'll have to try the 2f in the gun.

Thanks guys!

I did read that Traditions has weak nipples and TOW has an order for new SS ones, a couple at that just in case.

Now need to get more stuff!

This is worst than my car detailing sickness!

Aaron

Back