• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

50cal Sabots

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hunsta

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I have 2 questions I am hoping someone may be able to shed some light on for me.
Firstly I have bought some 250gr Ballistic tip sabots for my 50cal. It only has a 1:66 twist so I do relise that the trojectory will not be that great, but its is still worth trying. Has anybody used these projectiles and if so what sort of hunting charge did you use.
Secondly, if one was required to remove one of these ballistic tip rounds that had been loaded, would the normal round removing screw be any good or would i need something else. ::
Cheers
Craig
50cal Missouri Ranger

A 1:66 twist is a little slow for bullet projectiles, it is considered a round ball twist...

I'm not saying it can't be done, just expect larger groups, also roundball barrels tend to have deeper grooves than barrels designed for sabots, could load harder as a result...

Bullets need a faster twist to properly stabilize, something like 1:48 or 1:32 or even faster...

friends don't let friends shoot plastic!

:kid:

i can answer about using a ball puller, i was lucky enough that the screw did catch in the hollow point and pull the bullet, ballistic tip you would be in trouble. i then dropped it back in and pulled the sabot. the best way to pull the charge would be to use one of the CO2 style that screw in the nipple. you are right that a 1-66 may not stabilize that load, but shooting is the proof!

friends don't let friends shoot plastic!
Thanks mate. Its nice to know I have friends looking out for my traditional ethics. :p
I did think as i bought these that I was straying away from what muzzle-loading weapons are all about, but when u concider that the 100kg(220lb) boar your see in the little pic under my name got up after being hit square on in the shoulder with a 180gr r/b using 85gr of fffg powder at 40mtrs(45yds)and got up for a go at me, those ballistic tips looked like they had some very good stopping power.
Anyway I am just waiting on some PA Conicals to use as I just wanted to get away from using patches.
:m2c:
Cheers
Craig
50cal Missouri Ranger

Back