• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.527 in .54 GPR

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beartrap

32 Cal.
Reaction score
just wondering if any of you have tried this insstead of a .530 RB to help ease in loading and what are your experiences with it.

My .54 GPR's shot better groups with a .535 rd ball than a .530, so i don't think going smaller would have helped any as far as accuracy goes. Would be easier to load though.

Haven't yet, but I cast a bunch of them today with that intention. I have a .527 mold for my son's .54 TC Hawken and about 700# of good lead, so I might as well give it a try. Might have to use (or be able to use) my pillow ticking patching for a change. No reason they shouldn't work. I'll post my results/observations, probsbly not 'til next week.

The .527 or even the .520 will shoot just as well, and be much easier to load. Our ancestors used a lot thicker patches than modern paper punchers do, and they didn't use short starters.

Swampman said:
The .527 or even the .520 will shoot just as well, and be much easier to load. Our ancestors used a lot thicker patches than modern paper punchers do, and they didn't use short starters.

Yep, if they'd have used a tight ball/patch combo they'd have lost their hair in short order. I generally get the "standard" size ball and then match up a patch that'll let me load without using any short starter or undue force. This means that my patch will be on the thin side but as long as it works. Ever rifle has a law unto it's self, what works in one may or may not work in another. Best to find what works in YOUR rifle and stick with it.

TN.Frank said:
Swampman said:

Yep, if they'd have used a tight ball/patch combo they'd have lost their hair in short order. I generally get the "standard" size ball and then match up a patch that'll let me load without using any short starter or undue force. This means that my patch will be on the thin side but as long as it works. Ever rifle has a law unto it's self, what works in one may or may not work in another. Best to find what works in YOUR rifle and stick with it.

Someone told me a long time ago that:

For hunting you should be able to "Thumb start" your patched ball. Start it in the barrel with simple thumb preasure.

For target, use a load that requires a short starter.

I believe you should use the method that produces the the most accuracy no matter what you're shooting at. Most rifles have a favorite "diet" and that's what you should feed them whether in the woods or at the range.

I get best accuracy in my .45 rocklock with a .433 ball and thick patch, loads very easily without a short starter.

Back