• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

>54 cal. - 28 ga.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CoyoteJoe

70 Cal.
Reaction score
I've noticed here that a lot of folks seem to use the terms ".54 cal" and "28 ga." interchangable. My reference books show 28 ga. as having a bore diameter of .550" and Circle Fly wads list wad diameter as .560". Seems like that would be a bit tough to ram down a .540" bore, or are the .54 cal. smoothbores actually bored to 28 ga.? ::

I've noticed here that a lot of folks seem to use the terms ".54 cal" and "28 ga." interchangable. My reference books show 28 ga. as having a bore diameter of .550" and Circle Fly wads list wad diameter as .560". Seems like that would be a bit tough to ram down a .540" bore, or are the .54 cal. smoothbores actually bored to 28 ga.? ::

:agree:
I think .56cal/.28ga smoothbore is more correct...I had a TC .56cal Smoothbore once and like you said, the wad manufacturers referred to and sold stuff by the reference of .56cal/.28ga...my assumption always was that TC's .56cal SB was simply a .54cal rifle barrel without the lands

My mould and gun shop 28 ga barrel has a bore dia of .550. I think some of the confusion stems from the fact that the ball size one would normally shoot is the one of the typical choices for a .54 cal rifle. Either .530 or .535 dia. Hope this helps BJH

I recieved my 28ga. barrel from Jack Garner yesterday, very prompt service! The bore measures .560" at the muzzle, which actually is about .010" over true 28ga. I have no complaint about that as I'm sure it will make loading the 28ga. wads a bit easier. If it were a double I'd be concerned that the wads might shift from recoil but as I'm rebarreling a T/C Pa. Hunter as a halfstock tradegun I think the .560" bore will be fine. This is working out pretty slick. Jack Garner's barrel is 15/16 straight octy for 12" then a wedding ring and tapered round to the muzzle of the 36" barrel, which I may or may not shorten to 30 or 32". That places the wedding band about 1/4" back from the forend tip. Had to pull Jack's well fitted plug and replace with one made from a 5/8x18 bolt to match the T/C tang and that lets the vent fall right at the face of the plug, just right. The only reason I'm considering shortening the barrel is that a skinny barrel sticking out two feet past the rather short T/C forend looks a bit odd. Maybe it will look better once the under rib and thimbles and rod are installed, but the rib is backordered from TOW which did promptly ship the other ordered parts. Never saw a halfstock tradegun but, why not? Oh yeah, the tubing barrel has a very distinct seam from end to end. :hmm:

I recieved my 28ga. barrel from Jack Garner yesterday, very prompt service! The bore measures .560" at the muzzle, which actually is about .010" over true 28ga. I have no complaint about that as I'm sure it will make loading the 28ga. wads a bit easier.

When out in the field, the extra .010" will be taken up by some barrel fouling, so the wads will fit just fine...

Mr. CoyoteJoe,
May be wrong but believe the Lyman Trade Rifle (which is a half-stock) is styled similar to the Leyman (sp?) half-stock trade guns of old.
Best Wishes

Right on Windwalker, That's the other project I have underway (never do one thing at a time), I'm remodeling a Lyman into a Leman. There is a lot of wood to come off. The forstock is slimmed down a great deal but the biggest job is making that great big blob of wood on the left of the butstock into something resembling a cheek piece. It ends up being about as much time and effort as building one from a TOW kit, but not near the cost, not even if I decide to add a Green Mountain barrel. Because barrels interchange between Lyman, T/C, and several others, there are a lot of options for the fellow who starts with a plain ol trade rifle. :imo:

Back