• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

54 cal loading advice

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ol_luke66

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a .54 T/C renegade that I've been loading with .535 prb and .10 patches and 90 gr. pyrodex. does this sound ok. This weekend was Mn deer opener and I got a decent buck, a coyote and an opposum and the load seemed fine. I also have .530 balls and .15 patches. I just want to know what most people use.

Thanks,
Luke

I use T/C 360grn & 435grn Maxi Hunters w/ 120grn Goex FFg...FFFFg to prime...

The rifling on a T/C is only .005 deep. What you are using should be fine. sounds like you are hitting what you shoot at.

I use goex 3f with 95 grains of powder and a 230 grain Hornady RB .015 pillow patch from walmart and a wad before the patch,seem this load works excellent in my New Englander and Renegade fliter
My lube is 60/40 beeswax and lard and a table spoon of olive oil
:g

I have an Early Lancaster long rifle in .54 caliber. I use 75 grains of FFg Goex BP; a .530 hornady rb in a .015 patch lubed with my moose milk. :v I shoot this combo for everything. It's what makes my gun smile. :)
In my deer hunting, I have pass throughs even at 125 yards. One thing I've learned since I started flintlocking in 1978, placing the shot is more important than the power behind it. :winking: I've harvested over 30 whitetail through the years using a flintlock. The only two deer, I shot that I didn't recover to tag were were shot and tagged by another hunter using modern scoped guns in the regular season here in PA. And one of those with dirt on the exit wound was suspect in my mind. :cursing:

I use a .530" ball, 0.020" patch and 90 gr FFg in my percussion Renegade.

I use a .530" ball, 0.018" patch and 82 gr FFg in my flint L.C. Rice barreled Lehigh.

Both with "dried" castor oil moose milk lube.

Hmm...interesting...I dunno..I am a little puzzled. I have a .54 renegade and while I can load a .015 patch with a .530 rb...no way can I get a wally world ticking patch down it, much less a .020 patch. Is it perhaps that the barrel on mine is a bit undersized?

That Renegade is a 1980 vintage and probably has had over 8,000 round balls through it. The bore is fully "broke in" and smooooooooooth.

That's why you need to find a load that works for YOUR rifle. They're all different.

My Renegade, by the way, likes ALL loads and lubes. A very consistant rifle. With Moose Snot and that patch/ball combo I can set the ball with a single push once started.

My Renegade likes 535 ball with .018 patch. You have to mess around a lot to find the best combo for your gun.

80 grains of FFg 777, with .530 rb and .024 compressed down to .013 using water soluble lube.

Back