• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

54 prb and 70 grains Deer load?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elbow

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Shot my TC 54 New EnglAnder with a 530 prb 018 patch and 70 grains of Pyrodex RS today and could cut holes at 70 yards. Most accurate load I've found yet. Seems like not much powder for a 54 is this a good whitetail load?

My wife refuses to use more than 60 grains of 3f Goex in her 54 Deerstalker. Never shoots deer beyond 50 yards, but we've never managed to recover a ball from one either. Through-and-through on lung shots and DRT. The ones I shoot with 90 grains of 3f from a 54 don't drop any faster or run any less.

BrownBear said:
My wife refuses to use more than 60 grains of 3f Goex in her 54 Deerstalker. Never shoots deer beyond 50 yards, but we've never managed to recover a ball from one either. Through-and-through on lung shots and DRT. The ones I shoot with 90 grains of 3f from a 54 don't drop any faster or run any less.
Sounds like something that should be repeated. Dead is dead.

That sounds like a good load! bullet placement is just as if not more important as power. It should bring home the venison if you get a shot.

That'll definitely do it for deer. My hunting pard. shot a nice elk cow last year with that load, she didn't fall---but she didn't go very far either as it went thru her heart & broke the rt. shoulder joint ! Shot placement trumps muzzle vel. every time. ...Tom

Back