• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.56 Renegade Fowler Wins a Mixed Bag Today

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luieb45

54 Cal.
Reaction score
Haven't went small game hunting in almost a month and figured today might be a good day for it. Was intending on using a .22 at first but at the last minute changed my mind and used my smoothbore figuring that I'd regret it if I hadn't taken it hunting. Since there was a storm front moving in tonight the rabbits acted weird and were holding really tight. You pretty much had to step on them for them to flush. Hunted the creek bottom in what we call the "big draw" on my grandpa's farm. At first was just walking around hoping to spook up a rabbit and heard some squirrels barking up the draw. So I made a stalk and took a 20 yard shot on this fox squirrel. After moving on to another draw that was even thicker than what you see in the picture I jumped a rabbit and shot at 10 yards. This is my .56 Smoothbore Thompson Center Renegade. The load was 50 gr. 2ffg blackpowder, 4 thin cards, 15/16 oz. #6 shot, 1 thin overshot card.
HPIM0312.jpg

Just thought I should take a picture of the way the timber lies here in Illinois.
HPIM0311.jpg

HPIM0314.jpg

Luie, you're really coming up that learning curve quickly...and not from sitting behind a keyboard but you're out there, gettin' it done..building real world actual hands on experience...very impressive young man, keep up the good work !!
:hatsoff:

Excellent, Luie. I look forward to your hunting reports. I love small game hunting, especially with a small-gauge smoothbore, thank you for sharing your hunts.

Spence

That's what we like to see! I agree with roundball. It would be an absolute crime to huddle over a keyboard when there's hunting to be done. It will teach you a lot more than the LCD.

I have our old digital camera now and found out how easy it is to post pics now. You can expect even more pictures now. I would have had more today but had low battery when I was in the timber so I saved it for the more crucial pics.

Back