• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.58 or .62 for big stuff?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Terry D.

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I'm looking to build one sometime. I have a the smaller stuff covered up to .54. I want a big bore and will eventually hunt something big.

How big of a animal does the conventional wisdom say a .58 can take with a PRB?

A .62? Is a .62 too brutal to shoot?

Questions from a novice, so I ask for kindness.

I'd be comfy taking anything in this hemisphere with a .58 rifle. A friend took a Bison with a .54 (a GPR, by the way, but not a round ball).

But, if you've already got a .54 the .62 is a good step. Just because it holds a lot of powder doesn't mean you have to push it hot.

A .62 in a somewhat heavy early style gun with straight stock and deep wide buttplate is not a punishing gun to shoot.

I have an 11 bore rifle (75 cal) that shoots a 597 grain ball. It's a heavy gun 9 - 10 pounds but using 125 grains 2F does not kick too much. Sort of like a long push. Unfortunately did not get a chance to use it on deer this year. Will give a full report when I do. GC

Terry D. said:
I'm looking to build one sometime. I have a the smaller stuff covered up to .54. I want a big bore and will eventually hunt something big.

How big of a animal does the conventional wisdom say a .58 can take with a PRB?

A .62? Is a .62 too brutal to shoot?

Questions from a novice, so I ask for kindness.

My 62 carbine is very pleasant to shoot! My load is a mild 80FF and a 358 grain RB. It is not a straight stock, or wide, but handles the heavy charges just fine. But, I do agree that wide straight ones handle heavy charges best.

I even have shot 150FF and it is not that bad.

One good thing about a 58 is the availability of buying round balls..........and the price is better than a 62s.

my chambers .62 cal rifle with 125 grains 2fg and .342 round ball, gives plenty of power for big game.. with coat on, or on a fall afternoon out hunting/woods walk practice, its recoil is barely even noticeble to me.. compared to a 30-06 or even a 3030 light lever gun it doesnt kick much at all.. leaning in to it at a bench in hot weather it can rap your shoulder a bit.. but to me its a good roundball gun with enough power for big game. i wouldnt use it for big dangerous game tho, unless i had a great backup with modern gun.. one thing id like to add is with a black powder 42 inch barrel, and 9 pounds its barrel time can increase group sizes as recoil is more before it clears the barrel. making elevation, hold, and stance varying recoil more than a small calibre.. but with experience at 75-100 yards youll be able to do the job effieceintly.. dave

I would go with the .58 in a rifle and a.62 in a smoothbore. But, the real story is I'd go with a 16 gauge smoothbore if I was making that decision and it included the smoothbores..that is.
If you got some range to the quarry, then go with the .58 would be the logic...but I think you got enough gun in the .54 to take anything on the continent...So, to answer your question, the answer is I'd make a substantial shift forward to a .75 cal. Hope you appreciate the logic in this suggestion :winking:

Back