• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

60 grains of 3f as a hunting load?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buttonbuck

50 Cal.
Reaction score
I sighted in yesterday with a batch of .54 cal conicals I had. 80 grains of 3f and it hit just fine. I figured while I was at it I would play with round ball load loaded up 60 grains of 3f a 535 rb and .15 patch to my amazement they hit in the same group as the conicals. This is a keeper renegade. Question I have is will a 60 grain rb load be a good deer load out to 40-50 yards? I guess it would be but any advise. I know 45 grains and the roundball out of a plains pistol is adequate at 25 yards 80 grains and the conical really dropped a 150lb buck for me last season. Let me know what ya all have experienced.

Just me thinking here, but the PRB and the conical hit the same place because the PRB is underpowered. The conical is quitea bit heavier. For the PRB to print the same is is moving slower. I personally think that 60 Gr. fffg is a liitle light of a deer load. But at 40 yards it MIGHT be adiquate.
Rob

60 gr. will work fine at that range I would kick it up if shooting out to 75-80 yds, I used to use 70 gr 3f in a couple of .54 rifles I had, but I never shot farther than 75 yds, I think that is a good max range for most any ML hunting particularly with a newcommer to the sport, many shoot out to 100 and farther but the odds are better for you and the animal if you keep it closer.I have helped track deer( found some lost others) that were shot by other hunters at 100yds and further with open sights and RBs and conicals.
closer is always better..

I use 50-60grn powder charges in my .54cals for weekend tin can plinking at the range...for deer hunting I prefer max or near-max charges.

While I agree that 60grns can take a deer at closer range with a well placed shot, the difficulties of range estimation under hunting conditions could make a difference...and I'd rather have 100grns and not need it than have 60grns and need 100grns, etc.

Powder is cheap...why start out a hunt with built-in limitations...just my .02 cents.

We were out the other day sighting in for rifle hunting season. I shoot a 54 cal.PRB .527 ball. We were out at 75 yds where I consider my limit. Since I had the only muzzleloader there that day we were wondering what the penatration of the ball has. :hmm: We placed two 2X10 planks at 75yds. I shoot 65gr fff and also shoot 75gr fff loads. Both loads had no problem going through 4 inches of pine. So I would think at 40 to 50 yds would be just fine. Shot placement is most important. I figure dead is dead. Of course you can put as much powder as you want if it makes you feel better. Just my opinion :)

I figured that If I could shoot a roundball load that hits the same place as the conicals great. I really can't shoot over 40 to 50 yards because of the dense timber. Last year with the same load the conical load given that it has 170 grains more lead and 20 more grains of powder simply knocked down a medium sized buck to the ground where he stood, good to know that the ball will shoot through 2 pieces of lumber. I shot a doe 2 years back with the conical load and it passed clean through both lungs and the rib bones, she went down in 50 yards. so has anyone taken a deer with this load or similar?

According to the Lyman Black Powder handbook page 114.

28" barrel, 1:66" twist, PRB .498, 180 grns.

60 grns, 3F, Goex, 1554 fps, 964 ft/lbs at muzzle, 356 ft/lbs. at 100 yrds.

FYI :grin:

With a 54 like he's shooting and a 220-grain .535 RB from a 28" barrel, Lyman lists 1250 fps.

For frame of reference, I've dumped no end of deer with 44 and 45 cal cartridge handguns. In 44 special, I shoot a 240 grain bullet at 750 fps. In 45 LC I shoot a 255 grain bullet at 725. In 44 Mag I launch a 240 grain bullet at 1100 fps.

No probs with any of those handgun calibers at 50 yards or less, my self-imposed range limit for 44 special and 45 LC. My limit for the 44 mag is 75 yards. Never needed a second shot with any of them, never had any deer go more than a few yards after a hit.

Having said that, I'm shooting 90 grains of 3f behind a PRB in my GPR 54 cal for around 1550 fps. That's what my gun likes and my self-imposed limit with it is 75 yards. Yeah, it will kill further, but I want some margin for error both accuracy-wise and power-wise, just as I do with handguns.

OOOOPS for some reason I was thinking he was shooting .50 cal. A Senior moment.

OK Page 116 same book. 28" barrel, 1:66" twist, .535" RB, 220 grns.

60 grns., 3F Goex, 1250 fps, 762 ft/lbs.@ muzzle, 371 ft/lbs. @ 100 yrds.

Last big bodied buck fell to 70 grains of 3f under a 495 at about 60 yards. That bullet entered the rear of the ribcage on the right side and exited the front of the ribcage on the left. It was not a perfect shot since I only got one lung. I overestimated the angle the buck was standing at when I shot. He ran about 200 yards before piling up. I switched back to Pyrodex after that season because my source quit selling black. I now use 70 grains of RS under a 495 with the same kind of results. Stay within your set range and your load will do just fine. I use the same load to bust targets as I do hunting. I am not into recoil simply for the fun of it anymore!

A few years ago I shot a small buck within 40 yards using 65 grains 3f in a .50 cal. The ball passed through both lungs and out the far side. The deer didn't travel more than 40 yards either.

I'd say within that distance 60 grains in a .54 will do the job with good shot placement.

You have to live within your limitations and be ready to pass on a shot if it doesn't look right or if you have any doubt. You should accept that with whatever you are shooting though.

Old Salt

Stumpkiller said:
Yep. If the shot placement is good.

Of course even 120 gr. of 3F won't help you if the placement is bad.

:thumbsup: :applause:

I shot a Doe one time with a 50 Cal and a 50 grain charge at 50 yards.

Results.........Complete pass thru behind the shoulder, the doe made it 10 yards and was down for good.

I typically use 80 grains in case of a long shot, but I knew a 50 yard shot in this area was as long as I could hope for.

50 Grains did the job well.

HH

I have been hunting with ML for over thirty years and have taken many head of game. When I lived in new england I hunted with a .45 cal flintlock rifle. I took many deer using a roundball and 80gr of 3F as well as 2 black bears, all my shots were under 50yds.None of the animals traveled more than 50 yds after being hit. I have been hunting in Alaska now for 25 years. I currently use a .54cal rifle for all my hunting. I have found that for deer hunting (Sitka Blacktails) that 90grs of 3F is ideal. The last deer I took was at 40 yds, the ball entered just ahead of the shoulder and exited thru the last rib on the offside. the deer jumped up spun around and took about 10 steps and went down. very good performance. I have also taken many moose and caribou. For BIG animals I use the Hornady Great Plains Bullets( 425gr HBHP) with 110 grs of 3F.
This is a devistating load for big game, I have never had to fire a second shot with this load.
My longest shot on a caribou was 125yds the bull stagered in a circle and fell over, the bullet went completly thru. The closest shot on a moose was 25yds broad side and the moose ran about 60 yds and dropped, the bullet took out both lungs.
While shot placement is critical, using the most accurate/powerfull load is the way to[url] go.In[/url] my experiance you cant have to much gun for big game.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back