• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.62 English smoothbore

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry for the late reply , but I have not seen any Fowlers with a patchbox . Even the information on the French smoothbores from the collections at Louisbourg do not mention or show any. Guess it would be up to you , most of the guns (originals ) would have been made in the mind set of the times and all the same . The inovations when they came were usually a complete deveation from the norm ...still no patchboxes on Fowlers that I am aware of .. others may have more info . Good luck :redthumb:

The only English guns with which I am familiar that have boxes are first,the English rifles made between Ca.1780 and Ca.1816 which copied American rifles of that period and second an English rifle of the early 18th century by William Turvey with a flintlock and a swamped barrel.
For the first example see "Proceedings of the 1984 Trade Gun Conference" published by the Rochester{New York} Museum and Science Center, article by George Shumway and for the second example see "Rifles of Colonial America" Vol I by George Shumway No.14.I had an opportunity last year to see a fowler by Turvey and it didn't have a box although the rifle shown by Shumway did have a box.
Tom Patton

Back