• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

69 cal. French musket shot pattern

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm getting ready for the Illinois spring turkey season, so I tried out some loads in my 69 cal. 1728 model French musket. I tried shot in paper cartridge tubes, but they either blew out, or slugged at 15-20 yards. 90 grains 2f was too much powder and produced holes in the pattern.

I settled on 75 grains 1F with 1-14 ga. over powder wad, a full fiber cushion wad, a 95 grain powder measure load of #6 copper plated shot, and 1 over shot wad. The result below is typical at 15 yards. The big holes are a couple left over paper cartridge loads at 20 yards offhand.

P4040365 by okawbow, on Flickr

That looks good at 15 yrds. What is your max. range? I try to limit my shots to 25 yrds w/ my 20ga. flinter. I did get a turkey last year at 28 yrds. I thought he was a bit closer than that when I shot but it worked o.k. for me...not so much for him. :wink: Good luck on your hunt.

I'll try and keep my shots under 20 yards. I know it only takes 1 or 2 shot in the brain or spine, but I'd rather be sure about the shot.

Back