• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

72.cal

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wire

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Im interested in buying a 72. cal kodiak express rifle does any body have max powder charge or velocity info on this gun I would like to know before I buy. Thanks for any info provided

Put this up but dont see it so again..this is out of the Lyman load manual its for 75 cal smooth bore but uses the same ball 715 so maybe this will give you a idea. 60grs 2f muz vel 754/muz eng 687/at 100yds 531 ft lbs eng//80 is 879/934/700//at100grs its 1006/1223/and859//120 is 1088/1430/1000 at 100yds takes a lot of powder to move it but yours being a closer fit ect will be higher than these by maybe 10%. Good luck,Fred :hatsoff:

Perfect timing on this post as I have just ordered a kodiak double rifle in .72 cal. I also have been doing a lot of searching for load info. This is what I have found so far. The Dixie catalog reccomends 80 gr. ffg black powder with a .715 rb and .010 patch. , I have been communicating with James c. Gates at Dixie slugs, he has worked directly with Pedersoli to develope the Predator II slug. He reccomends the same charge of Black mag3 when using his Predator II slug (.725/ 600 gr hollow base). He also says that it is reccomended to place a .135 ballistic card over the slug in the second barrel to prevent it from shifting upon the firing of the first barrel. I just recd. an order from him and the slugs look very impressive. He has been very helpful and friendly. I also contacted Pedersoli via e-mail and they told me that James was very knowledgable of their rifles and he would be a great source of information. Other than this I have found a few articles about .72 cal. rifles but not specifically the Kodiak. Chuck Hawks article on Planning a Muzzleloader Safari to Africa and Safari Club Int. has an article in their Safari Magazine (March/April 2005) Black powder on the Dark Continent. I hope it helps.

Dixie Slugs has been working on a bullet for the Pedersoli 72 for some time. There now has been three designs tested in Italy, Alaska, and here at Dixie Slugs. All were good designs and shot well, but only the last design, the Predator II, was designed around the specs of the 72.
The 72 is .725" on the lands. I set the specs on the Predator II to drop from the mold at .725" when cast from pure lead. The predator II is a truncated cone (.450" meplat) bullet with a hollow base. The skirts of the hollow base are .125" and will not blow out when using the heavy powder charges. The bullet is somewhat "Square" (length vs diameter) and matches the twist of the 72.
The entire concept is to allow the Predator II to be loaded in the 72 like a Minie.
I do suggest that a .135 hard nitro card is placed over the bullet to keep the opposite load from jerking when the gun is fired. Tests with and without this card wad shows absolutely no difference in accuracy....period. Since Dixie Slugs sells loaded ammo, this project for a bullet for the 72 is mostly a labor of love. It is the only component that we sell.
You are welcone to contact me at [email protected] for any further help and details.........James@Dixie Slugs

Latest posts

Back