• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.75 musket for bear.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rawhide

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a 1740 potdam musket replica I also mite try hunting with this year for bear and deer. Fond the gun likes 90 grns. Of Fg with a .735 ball with a denum patch. Will this be enough for bear?

If accurate enough it should be fine. I use 90gr of 3F and a patched .705 ball in mine, the bore measures .729. This load has worked on Moose and Caribou with no problems, big going in and out.

Dunno about bear, but a .735 ball on top of 100 grains of 1f flat put the spank on a good deer I shot at 25 yards. Far as I know that ball is still whistling off through the brush.

Fist book I read on ml back in the 70s had a story about a guy who hunted bear,moose,and elk with only an origanal .77 cal bess.You ought to do well on black bear.

Probably more than adequate up to the black bear. But for brown bear/grizzly's methinks forgetting the traditional guns at home and bringing a big suppository rifle makes more sense.

I use a .54 patched ball and 90gr of FFg Goex and dropped a deer and one 250lb hog where it stood

Pound for pound, I've found black bear are easier to kill than deer. The two I've shot with longbow and single blade broadhead, have went down in a few seconds, in sight. However; a bears vitals are smaller and in a slightly different position than a deers'. Shot placement is more critical.

My 69 cal musket puts a ball easily through a large deer, even breaking leg bones on the way, with 90 gr. 2f. I'm sure it would shoot through the biggest bear with the same load.

Rifleman1776 said:
Probably more than adequate up to the black bear. But for brown bear/grizzly's methinks forgetting the traditional guns at home and bringing a big suppository rifle makes more sense.
If you going to need follow up shots your doing it wrong anyway!

Bits.

If your talking black bear, yea should be fine...if yea are talking Grizzar bear, go with a side by side Kodiak in .54...one side loaded with ball and ta other with conical...then in your belt a Howdah SXS .62 loaded up the same way...this should give yea 4 shots before yea get mauled....remember to shoot and quickly step up wind so the smoke won't impair ye vision! :v

Latest posts

Back