• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

A Bucks County LR

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vaino

Cannon
Reaction score
Thought this "forum" would be more appropriate in case someone is presently building a BC. Completed 2 wks ago. This LR is from a red maple blank, the bbl is 46" lg, .50 cal., "B" weight Rice bbl, my first BC w/ a Chambers Late Ketland. The BP and TG are purchased, the rest of the brass was made. The engraving is by Tim Adlam. Comments and questions are welcome....Fred

BC46-2-OA.jpg

BC46-2-PBox.jpg

BC46-2-LOCK.jpg

BC46-2-EntrySide.jpg

BC46-2-Cheek.jpg

BC46-2-TG.jpg

BC46-2-TANG.jpg

BC46-2-Fred4x6.jpg

BC46-2-CheekSide.jpg

Beauty, Fred !
carving looks sweeeet.
Tim up to his usual high style too.
there's no catching your glove between trigger and guard bow on that one! :wink:
/mike

Well Fred, maybe someday you'll get good enough to make a pretty rifle. Keep at it. :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Actually, I'm so far behind that kind of craftsmanship, I don't feel qualified to make a comment, except for "WOW"! A lofty level to shoot for as I progress.

Did you use that forming block system you came up with to form the entry pipe and skirt? I've been running that idea over in my head, trying to come up with my own workable version that I might be able to accomplish. Bill

Yes !! I see a MAJOR flaw in it !! :shocked2:

I don't Own It !! :idunno:

Beautiful rifle, and I expect no less from you. :bow:

Keith Lisle

Fred, that is a wonderful rifle. The long barrel makes it a cut above. I'm working on something similar and would really appreciate a picture of the patch box open and a picture of how you treated the muzzle. In all the books I have showing BC rifles, they never show the muzzles. Any help would be welcome. JZ

I'm another guy who feels totally inadequate as a builder to even offer an opinion (I've only built two and I'm about to start #3) but I'll offer one anyway. That rifle is positively beautiful; fantastic work.

First off thanks to all for the kind remarks. Yes...the oak block forms were used even though this entry pipe is 2 pieces and soldered together. I think the 2 piece pipe is a little easier to make and that's how many originals were made.
Pike Lake...below are pics of the open Pbox and the muzzle. The muzzle cap has a closed end...BCs were made like that or w/ an open end and the wood would be visible. Don't exactly know what you mean by"muzzle treatment". The Pbox release rod terminates under the toe plate
P1010003.jpg

P1010002-1.jpg

Beautifully executed, a true work of art.

Thanks for sharing it. :thumbsup:

Thanks Fred for the pictures. I should have been more clear. I was indeed interested in the muzzle cap. I know some were left open on the end and I was just curious as to how you finished your rifle. Again, thank you for the pics. JZ

Great job! Good architecture, long and slender forearm, what's not to like? Are you sure there are no Shuler blood lines in your family history?

I can see where you didn't split the half way
mark on the barrel inlet...Many miss that little
detail done on many but not all from that county.
nobody noticed it on mine either. It's things like
this that show off the research and talent...you
have both...excellant work...
Wulf

Yes...to achieve a very slim BC LR, a few things have to be done. As you mentioned, the top of the forestock is well below the bbl centerline and the bottom of the upper forestock is well below the RR centerline. This LR has less than a 3/32" web at the breech and 5/32" web at the muzzle...both contribute to the slimness but the 3/32" web at the breech does pose mechanical space problem asre the rear bbl lug and the front lockbolt which require very accurate drilling. The top level of the pan is well above bbl centerline and only a 1/4" White Lightning liner could be used. Some of these features are also found on certain Lehigh LRs to impart that slim look. Hope that this helps a mite for those contemplating a BC build and again thanks for the kind words.....Fred

Back