• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

A couple hours in a briar patch.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

silly goose

45 Cal.
Reaction score
395287129.jpg

395287130.jpg

Sadie and I got to spend the last couple hours of the day in a briar patch. She is not a camera hound and wants nothing to do with it. But we do have a deal, and she very much so likes the couch. I'm surprised having this much fun is legal.

I love Beagles. When I grew up our neighbor had two Beagles. Tina and Jake. My neighbor my dad and me would go rabbit hunting with Jake and Tina all the time. I can still hear them baying.

Beagles are great dogs. You look like you have a good one.

We have until the end of the month for cottontail, and until 3/20 for hare up north. I didnt have time to post but she got on a couple hare up north and didnt do so well. One she trailed about 100 yards or so, and the other was a lil less. I figured different terrain as well as a lot longer jumps, she'll figure it out with time I hope. She is a joy to spend time with, and I am so impressed with how hard she works. She has really put me back in the woods through the winter months. And man does this shotgun flatten them rabbits. I've been using 70gr ffg, w/same amount of shot, and they just roll over. I don't know how many times you can mention perfect days in the woods, but this was another. A fresh 3-4 inches of powder overnight, chill in the air, and of course a howling beagle. Did I ever mention how much I like this dog?

silly goose said:
I didnt have time to post but she got on a couple hare up north and didnt do so well. One she trailed about 100 yards or so, and the other was a lil less. I figured different terrain as well as a lot longer jumps, she'll figure it out with time I hope.

Yup. She's got the taste in her nose, and a little change in terrain or conditions will solve it. Snowshoes are FAST in front of a dog, and if they're really jumping far, it takes an experienced dog to stay with them unless the conditions are right for holding scent in the air, as well as on the ground- up here that's dead calm and a little humid.

It's hard to have a bad day in the woods with your dog. :thumbsup:

The good part is she's having more fun than you. :grin:

I remember my family having a beagle when us kids were growing up. Thanks for the memories!

And congrats on the great hunts & nice dog too!

Dave

Latest posts

Back