• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

A couple of bags

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jethro224

Reaction score
It's been a long time since I posted anything on the craftsman section so I thought I'd show a couple of bags that I recently finished.
Both are made from 4.5oz oil-tanned cowhide. Welted seams. Tapered gusset. Hand stitched with waxed linen thread. 1.5" adjustable straps with forged iron buckles by Steve Baxter.

This one is going to a rendezvous buddy named Frenchy. I decided to French it up some for him by stitching a fleur de lis on the flap.
This one is made from a pattern of my own design. Two pockets inside.
I'll see him at a rondy in a couple of weeks. Hope he likes it.

This one is for me. :grin: The basic pattern came from T.C. Albert's book "Recreating the 18th Century Shooting Bag". It's the North Hampton without any of the bells and whistles. I used the rough edge of the hide for a flap 'cause I like the rustic look it lends to the finished bag.

I'm kinda partial to no frills on my bags. Those are both very nice work. I like the look of your stitching and the bags look like they are very well made.

Ron

Jethro,
If Frenchy don't like it...that ole boy ain't right in the head!
Nice clean lines on both those bags. Should get lots of use through the years. :hatsoff:
Ed

That's some fine looking work. I like the one you made for yourself and the other one is a nice looking one too. :hatsoff:

Excellent. I'm a fan of oil tanned, especially for no frills bags. There a simple "beauty" in the combo, and you nailed it. Twice! :thumbsup:

Thanks.
I really like the oil tanned. For working and use. It just has a good feel to it and it's tough as nails and water resistant. With use and wear it just seems to get better looking in my opinion.
Back at the start of my bag building I tried putting in all the fancy bells and whistles that I could. With experience tho, the no frills approach just seems to work better for actual use.

for what it's worth, I like the bag you're keeping for yourself .... both look way cool ... I have become partial to pockets ... a better way to keep your many gadgets in proper order...

Thanks. Me too. :wink: The other one is too fancy for me.

I like one pocket in my bags. As a matter of fact, that's why I made myself a new bag for my smoothbore. My old bag doesn't have a pocket like my rifle bag. :idunno:
All of my small tools go in a small leather case that fits in the pocket. That leaves the main compartment free to hold only balls and patching. My measure and vent pick hang from short leather wangs from the strap just above the bag and ride in the bag too when not in use. Works pretty well for me.

Latest posts

Back