• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

A day to remember: Turkey/Bass

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KyFlintlock

50 Cal.
Reaction score
The gobble brought immediate hope to the start of the hunt. I immediately gripped the old 12ga double barrel muzzleloader and made my way over a few ridges to within about 100 yards of where the Tom was roosted. After giving him a few yelps to let him know I was there another hen started up across the creek. I matched her calling and the gobbler went nuts. How could you not smile with that!!!

After I heard him fly down I cranked up the calling and he gobbled his guts out. I saw his fan over the crest of the hill, but he was about 35 yards, too far for the traiditional muzzleloader. I tried every move in the book and for 1/2hr he would strut left and right, but a downed tree blocked his final approach to me. He finally decided I wasn't worth the effort and moved up the hill to a clearcut. Once I knew he was over the crest and couldn't see me I quickly made my way to the crest and crawled up behind a blowdown. I called and he HAMMERED but was already 100 yards into the field. I continued to work him and after swiching to a slate he was All-In and started back my way. When he got to 50 yards I laid the hammers back and at 20 I sealed the deal. What a wonderful hunt. As I stopped to enjoy the springtime redbuds and the greenery kicking in I couldn't help but be thankful for my health and the opportunity to get out in God's great outdoors!!

Wessv_2013-2_zps9262bf50.jpg

We drove the 45 min to my buddies friend's place to fish a while and wow what a good lake. The bass were pounding my crankbaits and the landowner mentioned we need to keep a few for dinner. Around the backside of the pond I found a nice shed and hauled the bass out on it. What a day for sure!!!

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v664/flintlock/wessv_2013_bass_zpsa72a2a14.jpg

Good luck if you are after them.
Wess

Red Letter Day! :grin:
Best part is you could share the day with your bud's! :thumbsup:
Thanks!..Keep the pic's coming!...dan

Thanks everyone. It truly was a great day afield.

Good luck in God's great outdoors and post some pics when you have time!!

Gobbbbbble!!
Wess

Latest posts

Back