• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

A Few New Knives

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcmcclure

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I had some extra time in the last few weeks and finished up a few projects that I had started back over the winter. Opinions and helpful critiques are always welcome. These blades vary and are of my own making and follow no real school of design. The small blades have been forged from Nicholson files and the larger from 1084; all have been halfted with mule deer antler pieces.

The first blade is my impression of a "rifleman's knife" (If there would have been such a thing). The bolster in this piece was forged from a piece of old muzzle-loading barrel and the guard from scrap 1084 that came from the tang.

These other two blades are very all purpose and would be great bag and patch knives and the smallest has a poured pewter bolster.

I agree on the blade length...I have another knife in the works that will have a much longer blade. Stay tuned.

Beautiful work, I especially like the rifleman's knife, my future son in law in Tennessee has a knife I made that is similar in blade and guard (Forged) but is full tang. Did you stain the antler haft? It's beautiful. Overall a nice working piece. Plenty of blade to fight with if one knows how. My brother Fred was a U.S. Marine and never used more than a 7 inch blade (or two!) Keep up the good work, George. :thumbsup: :hatsoff:

Outstanding. Some great craftsmanship there! And your gear looks fantastic too. Good stuff, thanks for sharing.

treestalker said:
Beautiful work, I especially like the rifleman's knife, my future son in law in Tennessee has a knife I made that is similar in blade and guard (Forged) but is full tang. Did you stain the antler haft? It's beautiful. Overall a nice working piece. Plenty of blade to fight with if one knows how. My brother Fred was a U.S. Marine and never used more than a 7 inch blade (or two!) Keep up the good work, George. :thumbsup: :hatsoff:

Yes, the haft are stained with leather dye. They were very dry antler pieces so the dye soaked in very deep and retained the darker tint.

Back