• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

A fine set of Wheellocks

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

musketman

Passed On
Reaction score
wheellocks.jpg

Wheellock Gun (Upper)
German, 1589

Wheellock Pistol (Lower)
German, ca. 1570-80
Wish I looked that good at 415 years old... :winking:

Because wheellock firearms were quite expensive to produce and repair, they rarely left the gunmaker's shop without decoration. Their use was limited to cavalrymen's pistols and light guns, and hunting weapons for the wealthy.

locks.gif

The above drawing shows the wheellock and it's workings...

In comparrison, this one's rather plain. It was built in the late 1990's for a retired English Gentleman for use at local rendezvous. It is very accurate and has extremely fast ignition, whether quarts or fint is used in the cock.
Daryl
:
RightandLeftLengthwise.jpg

:
RightandLeftSideView.jpg

Daryl, is that water proof?

I'm sure I would drool all over it...

Nice firearm...

They mainly used iron pyrite in the dog's head back in those days, because it was softer than the steel. Flint is harder than steel and was generally not used with wheellocks because continued use would grind down the wheel until it had to be replaced. Maybe that's not a problem with modern steels. Not sure about quartz, though... I'd like to get a wheellock pistol, but they're expensive. A good one can easily cost as much as a large matchlock musket. Maybe someday... :(

On a side note, the wheellock pistol was the first 'concealed carry' firearm, since it was the first gun that could be concealed under clothing, cocked and ready to shoot. Several rulers around Europe passed laws banning them for that reason. Even back then, they had their own 'Dianne Feinstien's' to deal with. ::

You're right - iron Pirates - I don't know why I put Wuarts down- perhaps thinking of the early quartz locks. The chunk in the jaws is Iron Pirates. The wheel for the Pirates is cross grouved, while the wheel for flint is grouved around it's circumference(longitudinally)- two grouves with three ridges, being normal.
: I would guess the lock is about as waterproof (from above)as most fintlocks, but you could drool into the works from the bottom, Musketman- HA!
: When primed and being carried in that state, the pan is closed with the flint or iron pirates sitting on it's top surface. When pulling the trigger, the pan jumps backout of the way, allowing the rock to dop onto the wheel and ignite the powder. There's a bit of timing involved, more so & different than the Flnt Lock.
:
Dag%205.jpg

:
Dag%203.jpg

: As Taylor wasn't satisfied with what he could purchase, he decided to make the lock in it's entirety - by hand, including the chain for the tumbler.
Daryl

COMBINATION MILITARY WHEELOCK SPANNER/PRIMING FLASK, ca. 1650:
comboflask2.jpg

Made of a single piece of pressed cow horn.

Spring-operated cover with exposed spring with decorative "star" finial. Two spanner heads, one mounted on each side of the horn: their bases with a decorative wrought iron mounting plate.

Plain walnut base, attached by means of rough-cut nails.

The horn's body with smooth surfaces and some very minor handling marks overall. The iron mounts with nicely aged surfaces. Overall length: 6 1/2"

It's two tools in one...

Back