• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

A first for the 16 bore

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gsday

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I've been shooting my fowler through the late summer this year hoping to get a chance at a doe this fall.

The early PA muzzleloader doe hunt opened on Saturday.

Didn't see many deer til mid morning then they seemed to be up and moving. I saw three go through but they were a bit too far out for me. Finally this big doe came trotting in below my stand. She hung up in the thick for a few minutes. I still needed to get a good look at her to make sure she was mature (and a definite doe). She moved into an opening - I got my look - she moved out of the opening. I thought I just missed my chance.

I had one more small slot that (if she walked through it and if I could stop her) I'd have a chance. It was a 60 yard shot +-.

Well she walked into the slot and stopped. I squeezed off the shot and there she lay when the smoke cleared.

She's a nice old doe.

Sometimes thing do work out.

That's a nice Doe! And very good shooting with a smoothbore at 60 yards, looks to me you hit her just right and a 16 bore is a BIG round ball. What was the load specs? I have to wait till Nov. 18th for Muzzleloader season down here :(.

80 grains FF under a .640 round ball and about a .020 greased patch.

I've got an 80 grn. powder measure tied to my pouch that I use when shooting shot. So I just use it for ball too. Seems to work good.

I never shot it past 50 yards on paper, but it lays'em right in there at 50.

I do have a small rear sight on the gun with a big open slot. Works good for sighting turkey with shot or deer with ball.

Greg

Awesome!
Text book results!
Bang flops are good! :thumbsup:
Great picture-story.Just add a smile....Keep them coming!
Enjoy the back straps!

Way to go! Congrats! I have yet to bloody my smoothbore. But I have a doe permit this year so I am hopin'!

Any pics of the gun? Tell us more about it.

TinStar
Soli Deo Gloria!

Good going! We don't have an early ml season but we do have a early doe starting Thurs.-Sat. Will be using my flint .54 Dan.

:thumbsup:
Congratulations and thank you for taking us along on your hunt.

Silex

It is a good idea to have the gun nearby the table when enjoying the first hunk of venison. It just makes it taste better in the company of the gun that harvested the deer.

PJC

Nice shooting Mr. Day. Hoping the bucks county I got from you this spring will do the same come november here in CT.

Back