• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

A mornin' with the boys

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KyFlintlock

50 Cal.
Reaction score
The boys wanted to just get out and try to squirrel hunt. I picked up my buddies son and we hit the woods. It was very cold and soon I could tell the boys were uncomfortable.

wesshunt.jpg

I decided to just let them enjoy the day and asked if they'd enjoy a quick fire. "SURE DAD!!!", they all said in unison.

Soon we had enough cedar kindlin and a good fire roaring. They were all laughing and having a great time and my son said, "Dad, too bad we don't have anything to roast". I grabbed my flinter and told them I'd be back in an hour and for them to stay here and mind the fire, which they agreed.

boys.jpg

I brushed all of the leaves back away from the fire and headed over the hill, as I had that big buck on my mind from the day before. I saw the young 8pt from the day before and jumped a doe in the CRP, which I promptly missed as she bounded through the weeds... I angled back and found my oldest son had shot a squirrel while I was out galavanting. "Well, at least ONE of us brought home the bacon" I told him.

I cleaned the squirrel and we roasted it over the fire, turning it slowly and hovering it right over the coals. We each shared a few bites and I cracked up several times seeing the boys' faces as they looked at each other eating the squirrel.

boys2.jpg

wesssquirrel.jpg

As we made our way out, my youngest boy took another nice fox squirrel and said, "Dad, can we roast this one in the back yard tomorrow?" I knew right then that they had had a good time even though we didn't do much on the squirrel hunting.

Good luck
wess

Good job, dad. I'd trade a deer any day for the look on those faces. They have to be hooked now!

Thank you for sharing a wonderful story, well written and well documented.
I'd definately consider you in the running for dad of the year
keep 'em smokin' :thumbsup:
bramble

KyFlintlock said:
The boys wanted to just get out and try to squirrel hunt. I picked up my buddies son and we hit the woods. It was very cold and soon I could tell the boys were uncomfortable.

wesshunt.jpg

I decided to just let them enjoy the day and asked if they'd enjoy a quick fire. "SURE DAD!!!", they all said in unison.

Soon we had enough cedar kindlin and a good fire roaring. They were all laughing and having a great time and my son said, "Dad, too bad we don't have anything to roast". I grabbed my flinter and told them I'd be back in an hour and for them to stay here and mind the fire, which they agreed.

boys.jpg

I brushed all of the leaves back away from the fire and headed over the hill, as I had that big buck on my mind from the day before. I saw the young 8pt from the day before and jumped a doe in the CRP, which I promptly missed as she bounded through the weeds... I angled back and found my oldest son had shot a squirrel while I was out galavanting. "Well, at least ONE of us brought home the bacon" I told him.

I cleaned the squirrel and we roasted it over the fire, turning it slowly and hovering it right over the coals. We each shared a few bites and I cracked up several times seeing the boys' faces as they looked at each other eating the squirrel.

boys2.jpg

wesssquirrel.jpg

As we made our way out, my youngest boy took another nice fox squirrel and said, "Dad, can we roast this one in the back yard tomorrow?" I knew right then that they had had a good time even though we didn't do much on the squirrel hunting.

Good luck
wess

When you mentioned the look on your boys' faces while eating the squirrel, was it the "Dad, this is delicious," or was it the "Dad, were is the nearest McDonald's," look?? :rotf:

Back