• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

A squirrel hunt for science

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

George

Cannon
Reaction score
Dodged the weather at last and had a little squirrel hunt this morning. Not much action, saw one squirrel and collected It. I was testing Skychief's special load in my 20 gauge, and it performed as advertised. The shot was longer than 25 yards and the big boar fox squirrel was high in the tree, but it was hit with so many pellets I had to discard some of the meat. The load was 60 grains 2F, a 1/8" hard card, 7/8 oz. #5 shot, thin overshot card all topped of with a 1/2-inch cushion wad soaked in EVOO to a weight of 35 grains.

When I drove up to my parking spot near a finger of woods a doe ran out and jumped over a fence into a hay field, then stopped. I parked 25 yards away, she stayed put. I got out and got my camera, took a series of shots, she pranced around but held her ground. I assumed she had a fawn in the finger, so I moved the car 75 yards further on, and saw no more of her.

Imagine my surprise when I processed the photos and saw the reason for her behavior, her fawn in the grass at her feet, not in the finger. She had run toward her fawn, not away to toll me off. I had never spotted it, but then, that's the whole idea, sin't it.

Spence

Great story and amazing photos there compadre! Yes sir...that's typical doe behavior when the fawn is around. Those little guys can just flat out disappear in fairly short grass when they want. have almost stepped on a couple over the years...thank God I at least watch where I tread! old Sgt. taught me that! :wink: :thumbsup:

Congrats on the squirrel and great pics! I'm surprised the doe ran to the fawn instead of leading you away also. :hatsoff:

Very nice.

I really must give that Skychief special shot loading a try. I've been meaning to for quite some time, but I seem to have trouble remembering...
oh look, a butterfly!

Glad you got out partner. Thanks for toting your camera for us. :thumbsup:

I finally stumbled across a fawn today. Mama wasn't seen nor heard. :idunno: I'm sure she had an eye on me though.

Glad to see the Skychief load working South of the Ohio. You mentioned that your cushion wad weighed 35 grains. I remember having a discussion here about how much my wads weighed but I'll be darned if I can find it. Do you recall how heavy mine were Spence? :hmm:

Thanks for sharing with us, Skychief

Skychief said:
I remember having a discussion here about how much my wads weighed but I'll be darned if I can find it. Do you recall how heavy mine were Spence?
According to my notes, 38 grains.

I prepared 8 olive oil soaked cushion wads and plan to use your special load for everything until they are used up. At the rate I get out these day that will take a while, but I'm looking forward to seeing how they work.

I want you to know I step behind a tree before loading them on top of my charge, just in case anyone might be looking. I do have a reputation for sanity to protect, after all. :haha: :haha:

Spence

:shocked2: :shocked2: :shocked2: :hmm: Well, that's short of paranoid glances over your shoulders, or, wearing some sort of disguise I guess. :haha:

You keep loading behind those trees, partner, and be sure to let us know how things are going. :wink:

Good luck!!

By the way, I recall reading, possibly here, that a large majority of squirrels taken in the Spring are male. Can you confirm this?

Skychief.

Skychief said:
By the way, I recall reading, possibly here, that a large majority of squirrels taken in the Spring are male. Can you confirm this?
Interesting, I never heard that. I never noticed one way or another, but I'm not a good one to ask about this. My success rate with spring squirrels is lousy, never can seem to find many of them.

Spence

Another nod to a Skychief load; I have a jug choked 12 ga that doesn't live up to it's potential with a normal shot and powder load.

I had two barrels jug choked by Caywood, one I gave to a friend will blow a turkey head apart at 40 yards, the one I kept struggles to to the job at 25 yards.

I found if I add a couple greased 1/8" hard card wads over the shot ala Skychief it turns into a different animal. My gun likes the cards instead of the cushion wad.

25 yards, like a swarm of bees;

Back