• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

A Successfull hunt

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ron LaClair

In Rembrance
Reaction score
Michigans muzzleloading deer season has been opened since December 4th. Deer movement has been slow with the deer not moving much in daylight hours. The regular gun season ended on November 31st so there wasn't much time between the two seasons for the deer to settle down.

Snow cover confirms the deer are there but moving mostly at night. This last weekend things changed a little and I got lucky enough to fill two antlerless tags. I took the first one Saturday morning with my .62 Jager "Bull Knocker". It was loaded with 115gr's 2FF and a .600 prb. The distance was about 35yd's. The lock "hung" slightly causing the shot to take the deer too far back. A long tracking job and a followup shot put the deer on the pole.

The 2nd deer was taken the following evening with my 20ga. smoothbore "Two Fer". The load was 80gr's of 2FF and a .590prb. The distance was about 30yd's. The ball entered in front of the left shoulder coming out behind the right shoulder taking out the heart on the way. The deer dropped in it's tracks.

I like to carry both guns so I'll have two shots if needed. I've always admired a swivel breech with a rifle and smoothbore barrels but never could afford one. I also carry two guns when squirrel hunting, a .32 rifle and a 20ga smoothie loaded with shot. I've heard that two guns isn't legal in some States so be sure and check before you do it. I checked with the DNR Law Division here in Michigan and they said it's OK.

Good_Weekend.JPG

:thumbsup: Attaboy!(Sir! :redface: ) an CONGRATS! :hatsoff: Ya dun good!!

gees carryin two guns,,gotta be way more deer sign there than here!! :wink:

Mr. La Clair,
Great pic and great story! I just learned Illinois will allow me to carry two BP arms perhaps I should consider follwing your lead.

If I may say, I first met you 12-15 years ago at Cloverdale { I'm sure an event you remember :haha: } and have been a fan ever since. Your contribution to both the Traditional BP and archery communities has few rivals. Your picures and stories have brought inspiration and joy to many of us. Please keep it up! I've told my wife, that when I grow up I want to be Ron La Clair. According to her I need to get much, much prettier... :shocked2:

John McCreary

If I may say, I first met you 12-15 years ago at Cloverdale { I'm sure an event you remember } and have been a fan ever since. Your contribution to both the Traditional BP and archery communities has few rivals. Your picures and stories have brought inspiration and joy to many of us. Please keep it up! I've told my wife, that when I grow up I want to be Ron La Clair. According to her I need to get much, much prettier...

John...you're embarrassing me... :redface: Thank you

Congrats! A lot of people I've talked to matched your earlier season experience. I hope to add to the pole this weekend (starting Thurs. morn), better yet, get my dad in front of one (it's his b-day Thursday, turns 70 and ya wouldn't know it). Anyway, good job on the hunt and I like your hunting clothes. :thumbsup:

Nice shootin' Ron, congratulations on a fine harvest!

At least your deer are moving! Down here they all seem to be feeding & bedding in the same place!

Waidmanns Heil from Germany to this pure traditional harvest! Well done!

Regards

Kirrmeister

Congrats. Nice short to the point story and a good photo.

However, I have a question. Doesn't that garb get a tad cold?

The Doc is curious now. :v

The Doc is curious now.

Not at all. The vest I'm wearing is hand made by a woman who processes the wool from her own sheep. It's very heavy and a full 1/4" thick. Under that I wear a heavy wool pullover, under that lambs wool longjohns. Wool pants and wool socks inside Steger Mukluks that are lined with wool felt pacs. Hand made wool mittens and when it's really cold, Beaver mitts over those.....Did I mention that I like wool?... :)

ShrewHaven%20Vest3.JPG

Congrats on the deer NWTF. Always impressed by the way you show the newcomers how to do it right, even dressing warm!

NWTF Longhunter said:

The Doc is curious now.

Not at all. The vest I'm wearing is hand made by a woman who processes the wool from her own sheep. It's very heavy and a full 1/4" thick. Under that I wear a heavy wool pullover, under that lambs wool longjohns. Wool pants and wool socks inside Steger Mukluks that are lined with wool felt pacs. Hand made wool mittens and when it's really cold, Beaver mitts over those.....Did I mention that I like wool?... :)

ShrewHaven%20Vest3.JPG

I'm curious about your mukluks. How do you keep your feet dry, and is the insulation in them alone enough to keep your feet warm? I've considered buying a pair for hunting but after wearing modern technical footwear with waterproof breathable membranes and thinsulate for the last 15 years, I'm not sure how traditional moccasins wold compare.

Back