• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

A wood cock on the wing,,,

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
is always a treat for a front loader and a fine finnish to a days pheasant hunting :thumbsup:

doubleblack003.jpg

doubleblack002.jpg

Sorry for the poor photo's, it was too dark!

Brits.

For most of my "hunting life". ruffed grouse and woodcock were "it". Although my English Setters preferred grouse, they would also point woodcock but wouldn't "mouth" them at all. Woodcock breasts are delicious sauteed in butter, garlic and salt and pepper until rare and have provided many deliciuos meals. "Woodcock" in Finnish is "lehtokurppa" and seeing my surname is Lehto, I'm flattered. Nice going w/ the MLer.....Fred

Excellent. Brits. I'm envious. I shot a lot of woodcock as a young man, but that was before I discovered the wonderfulness of black powder shotgunning, so I can't talk about that here. Timberdoodles, we called them, and we looked forward to the fall migration. In their favorite habitat here, thickets of brush in wet ground, they can be a real challenge for your reflexes, but great fun.

Good job.

Spence

Timberdoodles are fun with BP. They fly anyway but straight. Blend in real well. Love a good bird dog hunting them. Did a lot of hunting for them in Pa.

Very nice, not many left in our neck of the woods but when I was a kid they were very common.

good stuff Brits! more fine dinning to be had. :hatsoff:
CHEERS!

had not seen one of them for years until the other day, was standing outside the shops n a little brown blur went by n slammed full tilt right into the wall, dropped like a stone deader n a door nail, weird for sure, pretty little thing, guess the cats hanging around ate well later that night cause it was gone next morning.

We used to watch them flying at night on a full moon. Have no idea why they dont fly into trees and break there necks.

If I may be so bold, in the picture you appear to have something tied to the trigger guard and wrapped over the nipple area. True and if so what are they?

thank you in advance.

john

jdw276 said:
If I may be so bold, in the picture you appear to have something tied to the trigger guard and wrapped over the nipple area. True and if so what are they?

thank you in advance.

john

John, it is a strip of leather, it can keep moister out of the chambers if I plan to shoot the next day or so. It can act as a cushion on the caps for added safty. A hammer stall if you like :thumbsup:

Brits.

Thank you! Another thing to make and show as part of my safety presentations when I am working with folks on the range.

3/8-1/2" wide piece of leather and the hammers hold it in place and the leather string keeps it handy. Can make em for the single shot muzzleloader guns as well. Got the hammer stalls on the flinters.

thanks again.

john

Excellent as usual Brits !!
Game in your area must be reaching the point where when they see you show up they just lie down and wait for you to pick them up!
:hatsoff:

:thumbsup: Congratulations!

Absolutely blessed - I agree!
Something like this is on my bucket list.
I hear them often when out for deer but don't see them so much.

Silex

When I lived in Vermont, my hunting partner and I considered woodcock as incidentals while grouse hunting. We also considered them the prime rib of game birds, 'cause that's exactly what woodcock breasts taste like when pan fried in a cast iron skillet with minced garlic, onions and butter. When we finally had a dozen or so in the freezer, we had a meal.

Back