• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

about 12 gauge muzzleloader

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I never used mine for deer hunting, but I might. Last month at the Old Northwest Rendezvous I decided to shoot round balls out of my 12 gauge since I didn't have an actual smoothbore. I actually shot better with it than I did with my target rifle. I used a 680 ball, twenty thousands patch over a fiber wad and 70 grain FF geox. There is no doubt that that load would be deadly on deer out to fifty yards.

Hey there fire-n-b,

You most certainly can hunt deer with roundball out of your 12-gauge. You really need to know the size of your bore, because that can vary between manufacturers. But 12-gauge, as you probably know, runs around 75 caliber.

You might try .680 balls as mentioned above, or you can also try .715 or even .735 balls. You don't want to get too tight in a smoothbore, because there's no rifling to take up extra the space of a patch.

In my own experience, I have always had good luck with an over powder wad, a 1/2" fiber cushion wad, roundball (patched or unpatched, just don't patch it too tight), and then I always use an overshot card, but if you're using a patch that may not be necessary.

The theory behind the fiber cushion wad is that the wad will give a little, allowing the ball to sink into it a bit. This helps to keep the ball centered as it moves up the bore. It helps with accuracy - I know I've certainly had good luck with this type of load.

That big ball will put the whoops to a deer. :grin:

Good luck with it, whatever you decide. Please do keep us posted.

:hatsoff:
Spot

It's true that bore sizes vary but the standard 12 gauge is .729" bore so you'd never get a .735" ball down a 12 gauge and even a .715" ball wouldn't leave room for a patch. Lee sells a .690" mould for 12 gauge and that would be your most likely fit with patches of various thickness to match your actual bore size. For those areas which limit the deer hunter to shotguns only the 12 gauge is by far the most popular bore size.

I stand corrected (it was late :grin:), what I was trying to get across is that it is important to know your bore size, because certain "12 gauge" models are actually closer to 11 gauge.

I once (briefly) owned a japanese-made brown bess that was closer to a 10 (around .760).

Oh well, have fun with the gun f-n-b, it'll sure take a deer for you.

:hatsoff:
Spot

Mine will put a .686 round ball onto a paper plate at less than fifty yards. I have yet to kill a deer with it but I betcha it would do it. I use 70 grains of 2f, two ox yokes and .2O patching.

12 ga is a deer hammer .

mic the bore to get best results .

it's best you know the bore size, then you have somewhere to start getting the barrel ball combo right .

Back