• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Added the "Dove Notch" to the 20ga Early Virginia

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roundball

Cannon
Reaction score
Only got 8 shots, missed 2, put down 6, couldn’t find 1, brought out 5.
But that was enough to add a “notch” to “The Settler”...my 20ga Early Virginia.
She’s now taken a nice 10 pointer and some Does, Squirrels, a Turkey, and Doves.
No question a 20ga Flintlock is a very versatile hunting gun.

090312-DDovesChristened20gaEarlyVirginiaFlintlock.jpg

Jay, notice it's what's referred to as a "smooth rifle"...stock is basically a rifle stock architecture and the barrel has a rear sight.
I hunt in thick woods and sight in everything for a 50yd zero...longest buck I've ever taken was only 70yds, and so far at these ranges my smooth rifles basically shoot about as good as a rifle...their norm, shooting from a seated hunting position leaning against a support post as if it was a tree (no bench) averages 2-2.5" at 50yds.

I've also found through load development that the faster I push a PRB out of a smoothbore, the more accurate it is...my conclusion being that they stay under a pretty good head of steam for more of the distance to the target, and they can't slow down enough for the knuckle-ball effect to creep in.
If you get a first smoothbore, and assuming you'll want to hunt a wide variety of game, my suggestion would be the .62cal(20ga)...gives a little more flexibility for larger shot loads of larger pellets than the slightly smaller .54cal(28ga).

My .62cal(20ga)...a true .620" bore:
110grns Goex 2F
.022" Oxyoke prelubed patch (labeled .020" but measure .022")
.600" ball

081810Re-CheckZero50yds.jpg

I have to stop looking at this stuff on my lunch break...it makes the afternoon go soooooo slow...

Understand completely...we all go through it, LOL.
Matt Avance at TVM can fix you right up...the ones he's built for me are outstanding

Back