• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Adequat roedeer cal?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PreglerD

58 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello from Germany!

I know that roedeer are not common in the USA and norhern america. They are much smaller than your whitetails. A field dressed buck is about 40-45 pounds. So I think a .50 or even .54 is already a bit too much. My thoughts are that a .45 PRB will be good medicine, especially in my area where is no possibility of getting bigger game like boar or red stag.

What do you think?

Regards

Kirrmeister

Yes a 45 cal. should be plenty but the 50 would be ok also. Good luck and post some pictures if you get one.

I would think my .36 would be plenty with a well placed shot. But I wouldn't hesitate to use a .54 either. Use whatever gun you shoot best.

Based on the size of those deer I think a .50 cal would definitely be your maximum. A .40 would probably be just like the .50 cal on whitetail. So I wouldn't hesitate to take one with a .36 or a .40 as long as you keep your shots within 50 yards.

Though a 40 would work ok, a bigger ball will put them down in a shorter length of time. Big balls make big holes. Big holes make them leak more. :wink:

God bless

Kirrmeister said:
Hello from Germany!

I know that roedeer are not common in the USA and norhern america. They are much smaller than your whitetails. A field dressed buck is about 40-45 pounds. So I think a .50 or even .54 is already a bit too much. My thoughts are that a .45 PRB will be good medicine, especially in my area where is no possibility of getting bigger game like boar or red stag.

What do you think?

Regards

Kirrmeister

Put the ball where it's supposed to go and a .45 should be fine. Hell if legal and I was there, I believe I could have a lot of fun killing those with my .36 easy.....just sayin! :v

In ole Germany there is no restriction for ML used for hunting. No min. cal, no min. energy!

Regards

Kirrmeister

Bald Mtn Man said:
Swampy said:
Kirrmeister said:
In ole Germany there is no restriction for ML used for hunting. No min. cal, no min. energy!

Regards

Kirrmeister

I would consider a .58 cal then.
:shocked2:

When someone complains about a 40-45 pound liver shot animal always running to far, in another thread. Then yes I would consider a .58.

.36 yes with conical, with RB a .45 would be better because of bloodtrail.

Livershots are not usual, but they can happen! Normally we make loungeshots or neckshots here in Germany!

Kirrmeister

My father's friend was stationed in Berlin back in the 1960's. He went through the program to obtain a Jaegerbrief(SP) and had taken some roe deer. I believe he used a 22 Hornet if I am not mistaken.

I think a .45 caliber muzzleloader using a roundball would be perfect for them.

So it is common to take lung shots? Hmm. I wonder how that affects the ability to make saures lungerl? :grin:

bigbore442001 said:
My father's friend was stationed in Berlin back in the 1960's. He went through the program to obtain a Jaegerbrief(SP) and had taken some roe deer. I believe he used a 22 Hornet if I am not mistaken.

I think a .45 caliber muzzleloader using a roundball would be perfect for them.

So it is common to take lung shots? Hmm. I wonder how that affects the ability to make saures lungerl? :grin:

I don't know how the regualtions were in the 60's, but meanwhile the min. cal. for roedeer when using cartridgerifles is .222. For ML and shotguns there are no min. cals or min. energies :grin:

Regards

Kirrmeister

While hunting last weekend, one of my friends harvested a button buck with a .45 ML. The animal was probably comparable to a "Rehbock" in size and weight and was taken at 40 yards with PRB. The ball passed through the vitals and was lodged under the far side skin when recovered.
Depending on your hunting conditions, ability of shot placement etc. I would probably put the lower end for hunting roedeer at .40 or .45 cal with a stout load. But don't go taunting wild boars with that peashooter.

Hi boule,

welcome at the forum. So your friend had luck, Waidmanns Heil!
Meanwhile I have 3 possibilities for hunting:

1) 28 ga flinter, shoots a .525 RB with overpowderwad and 60 grs WANO PP accurate up to 50m

2) Investarm/Euroarm Hawken perc. in .45. Good with PRB and conicals because of its ROT of 1 in 48".

3) A .50 Woodsman Hawken from the former brand Dikar with stainless round barrel an ROT 1 in 48". Drilled and taped for scope mount for the special circumstances when hunting at the baiting.

Regards

Kirrmeister

Back