• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Adequate Load??

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wink

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I'm headed for the range soon and plan on tinkering with a few different bullets and powder loads. I plan on maybe trying out a 275 gr TC Maxi hunter as well as a 350 gr. Asssuming I use 80 gr of goex fff, will the 275 gr maxi provide sufficient energy as a deer load? or should I focus on the heavier load and do what it takes to make it work?

Do some penetration testing with those bullets, and that load to answer your question. I think you will find that you can get by using a lot less powder behind those heavy bullets. Nothing larger than a Lead Round ball is needed to kill any deer. The big slugs are way overkill. But unless you see it with your own eyes, in penetration testing, you are not going to take advice from the members here. You are thinking in terms of Smokeless powder where more is better. That is not the case with Black Powder. But you have to learn that yourself. Best wishes.

I never took a deer with a maxi but I did take one with a .50 270 grain ball-et at about 65 yards with 80 grains of Goex 2f. Punched through both sides with ease and a blood trail a blind man could follow; big exit wound. That was out of a 21" barreled TC PA Hunter. I would think the 350 grain maxi-hunter would be a great bullet but never could get them to group in either my 1/66 or 1/28 twist barrels. Maybe it would be just right in 1/48 twist.

One of my hunting pards uses 80 grains with a maxi. I helped skin a good sized buck he shot, which he'd hit it square in brisket at 60 yards. The maxi was just under the hide on the back of the left ham after passing full length through the deer. First maxi he ever recovered. All the others could still be on the wing after passing through the deer, as far as we know.

Yup, that's a waaaaaay adequate load! I'd gladly use it for moose or elk, too.

Yes your load is adequate. I don't think a guy can be over adequate. I would rather the load be "over" adequate than inadequate. I always lean to more power than less when a living creature is in the picture. Ron

Shot a roebuck with a .50 370 grs Maxiball and 90 grs WANO PP at 60 meters. Died in its tracks, many blood, lounges were completely shredered.It was my only use of a conical. My 4 other roes were all killed by .490 PRB and 75 grs WANO PP.

Kirrmeister

It should be plenty. I use a .490 RB with 70 gr. of 3F for deer. Within 100 yards it drops most big mulies in their tracks.

Back