• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Advice on a test load.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm cleaning this .50 cal. Traditions up for a friend. It belonged to his grandfather who took pretty good care of it when he was alive. The bore started to rust due to neglect after his death. Using PB Blaster and scotch pads it now looks pretty good. Cleaned the trigger and lock assemblies and adjusted and lubed them. Used my torch to get the nipple and bolster screw out. I have no idea how old the gun is. Barrel is Spanish and stamped 700kp/cm. Also J2. I replaced the bolster screw and tomorrow the nipple arrives so it will be time to test out the gun. Is about 80 grs. of FFFg a reasonable test load? Getting a little nervous. Don't want to blow up a family heirloom, but I want to make sure I give him back a safe gun. All my guns were purchased new so I have no experience here.
DSC_6654.JPG

It all depends on what you mean by ‘test’.
Initially, just want to make sure it will be safe to fire. Then will probably start at about 50 grains of FFFg and see if it shoots worthwhile groups. If so, the owner can play with load development after that. He is the owner of the gun range and very proficient and knowledgeable with unmentionables. Just not BP.

Update. Mailman delivered the percussion nipple today. I loaded the gun up with 85 grains of FFFg, strapped it to a tire and pulled the trigger with a long string. Big noise, smoke and where the ball went into the lake it looked like a depth charge had gone off. Drum, nipple, and bolster screw all intact. Those threads were my worry. That was in my back yard. Tomorrow it goes to the range and see how it shoots.

Latest posts

Back