• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

after pride...comes a great fall

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

armymedic.2

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Feeling invinceable with my fowler after taking a yote and deer this season, i had supreme confidence as a pair of deer ran at me this morning. i saw them going as fast as they could across my neighbors pasture, and i was sure right where they would end up.

as they dropped below the hill i stared at the spot i expected them, and lo! There they appear! Stranding broadside at 65 yards in his field, come on baby.....just a little more. Over his barb wire and into my woods like they read the playbook.

now quartering away at 50 or so. Heart blocked by my fence but 2/3 top of the lungs were available. "no problem" i thought, be dragging in a minute! "aim higher? nah, plenty of room there, send it"

ch-boom! there they go......."hmmm, thats two deer now that haven't gone down right away...really thought the 62 was going to be more of a hammer"

over the fence i go to find the trail....

"well lets see what we have here...........nothing so far. huh. gonna be one of those funny bloodtrails. i wonder why some bleed right away and some don't. funny.....thought the 62 would open her up more....

"ok.....now im 50 yards into where she ran, im tracking her by disturbed leaves....im starting to think this is one weird deer. howd she make it this far without a liver and two lungs? nuttin i ain't seen before though, had no blood on snow with a broadhead and once with a pistol too! pistol one went over 100 before fallign with one drop of blood. that was a "quartering to" shot. hmmm maybe same type of deal. nuttin to worry about, im sure shes layin right over this rise......

walk a circle

walk a circle

mutter

walk a circle.

curse,,,
walk a circle

holy! i think i missed! howd that happen!?
still not quite understanding what went wrong, and playing the shot in my head over and over as i walked back to my pasture.

as i neared my pasture it all became.....quite clear.

photobucket-21984-1354552826098.jpg

that is gonna taste like manure with onions. but as my six year old said when i showed her the picture, "at least you shot something dad!"

:doh:

i was kneeling in the island of trees over the top of my barrel. the deer were about ten yards this side of the fence,,, ........ya know......bout in line with that hole in the fence
:redface:

I've had a sapling jump out and take the bullet before but never seen a fence do it. :idunno:

Perfect spine shot on the fence! :grin: Better luck tomorrow.. :thumbsup:

Buddy of mine split a vine with his arrow a couple years ago. The vine was about 10 feet in front of him.. :redface:

That's a great story and you have plenty of company in a miss. She knocks a pretty good hole and it will be in a deer soon enough! Geo. T. There are things much worse than a clean miss!

It sure was fun! And yes. Clean misses and clean kills are all a man can hope for. Today i had a huge doe broadside at thirty yards. Only lane i had her dink had its neck straight across her vitals.

When i was a, younger man.......ah. they happilly made their: way by me, and my big loop to intercept them again didnt work
Ah well.
More chances tomorrow maybe .

I do love setting the hammer. The tension on the trigger which is so crisp. I do love the pulse quickening. All the fun with none of the dragging or gutting!

You're going to need a darn good sauce for that. Looks like it might come out a little dry otherwise... :haha:

Wrap it in bacon and Jalepenos bake for 20 minutes on 350. Then eat the bacon and jalepenos. :wink:

You might want to aim just a smidge higher.

On the plus side, if we do a horizontal stake shoot next month as the forum shooting contest, you're well on your way!

How long do you suppose it will take to marinade. Truth be told many of us have made many mistakes in the woods. Have a buddy that shoots out of a home built house with heater and all. He always forgets to slide window open. Replaces many. Still has a great time.

RJ

Back