• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Afternoon Goose Hunt

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

samerch

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Shot these with the 16 ga with 1 1/4 #2 bismith with 85 grains of 2f. They seem to hit hard. Longest shot was 25 yards over decoys.
JPhelps16gagoosehunt026.jpg

JPhelps16gagoosehunt031.jpg

Hello from Germany!

Waidmanns Heil to these fine geese. That will give a nice venison meal.

How will you cook them?

Regards

Kirrmeister

Excellent performance. You have goose for the upcoming holidays.

I need to get out. Deer is looking poorly this year while Dad and I saw many geese in the fields. Maybe we need to take up goose hunting instead?

Kirrmiester:

Don't laugh but one thing you can do with goose is to breast out the meat and make some great sausage out of it.

Sounds like a very good hunt...great photo with the bales & pumpkins too...congratulations!
:hatsoff:

I will talk to my friend Bubba today about his goose sausage recipe. There was a big sale on turkeys at forty seven cents a pound so I bought a couple and I plan to debone them and make a South Beach type of sausage. It will be a mix of ground turkey and cooked buckwheat groats with seasonings.

Sausage making isn't rocket science. Basically you can take any meat and mix it with a spice. Then grind it and force it into a casing of your choosing. I have played around with a lot of sausage recipes and have a decent collection of them. I will have to dig them out and post some of them.

Making sausage can be simpler than you describe. I have a sausage recipe on this forum, at the bottom of the page, which uses curing salt and liquid smoke to chemically cook the ingredients, and you ROLL the meat up in Plastic Wrap, rather than having to have a meat press, and fetal pig intestines for casings. YOu can size the sausages a large or as small as you wish in the plastic wrap.

Claude
Administrator
Claude
Loc: Cardiff by the Sea, Calif...
Registered on 02-26-99
peace.gif Offline

01-11-07 09:43 AM - Post#356513
In response to Webmaster

Venison Sausage

Per 1 lb. of meat:

(You can substitute any meat, but this was originally designed to use with venison)

1 Tbsp. Morton's Tender Quick (curing salt)
1/2 tsp. Mustard Seed
1/2 tsp. Garlic Powder
1/2 tsp. Coarse pepper
3/4 Tsp. Liquid Smoke
1/4 cup Water

Directions:

Mix thorough all the meat and ingredients in a large bowl. The meat will begin turning gray from the salt and liquid smoke, which is chemically cooking the meat. Don't despare. This makes a mild summer sausage. You can add to, or delete any spice listed above, to your taste. You can use different spices, with, or in substitution for, any of the spices listed above.

Use Plastic wrap to make the sausage, by rolling the meat into the size sausage you want. Hold the ends in both hands and spin the sausage to squeeze out air, and air pockets in the sausage. Put the sausages on a baking sheet, and put them in your refrigerator for a minimum of 24 hours, turning the sausages over every 12 hours, to make sure that the salt and liquid smoke reach all parts of the sausage .

Remove from the refrigerator any time after 24 hours. Take off the plastic wrap. Re wrap the sausages in foil, and put them back on the baking sheet. Bake 45 minutes at 300 degrees F. then turn the sausages over and bake them aother 45 minutes, to evenly cook the sausages through.

Remove the sausages from the oven and thow them in a sink, running cold water over them to cool them down quickly. Then remove the foil and disgard. Wash all the extra salt and fat that is crusted on the outside of the sausage. Set them aside on paper towels to dry. The sausage will have a nice solid texture and a red color to them, depending on what meat you use.

To store, re-wrap in plastic wrap and either freeze or refrigerate. I put the sausages that go into the freezer in a separate ziplock bag, to help prevent freezer burn.

The benefit of this recipe is that it can be expanded to handle as much sausage as you want, you don't have to have or use a sausage press, and you don't use pig intestines, which can be expensive, to make this sausage. You don't have to make all the sausage up at once. You can freeze the meats you want to make sausage out of, then thaw them out when you want to make the sausage, and keep the quantities small for use, and storage.

Submitted by Paul Vallandigham

I guess there is no need to ask what your family had for Thanksgiving dinner. Great show :bow:

Back