• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

All Ready for Sat Muzzleloader Season Opener

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scoutinlife

32 Cal.
Reaction score
This year I'm going back to deer hunting with a side lock muzzleloader the past few it was a Winchester inline. I Bought a used but in great condition T/C Hawkins 50 cal a older one with the clean out screw for a mear 90.oo dollars :grin: last Jan a guy who inherited from his grandfathers passing an wanted to sell it also got a powder horn,jag, measures,nipple capper ect everthing but powder and bullets with the deal to boot. Not a bad gun for the money, an it's accurate. Mine has a tight “barrel,” so I learned alot on this forum researching information. Heading out to the range this past new years day . Have been shooting pyrodex,.495 roundballs T/C .10 patch 80 grains. Remington number 11 caps but just not the optium load I thoguht I’d try 777 switching to a .490 roundball .18 patch, number 11 remington caps an picked up some ffg Tripple 777 on clearance for 17 bucks and played with it 70 grains of 777 a clover leaf tact driver at 50 yard. Most shots are more like 15 to 35 yards in my area I hunt in hills of Southern Ohio. I'm just excited to try to get my first roundball deer with a sidelock this year Ohio season open up this Sat through Tues for muzzleloader,I'm off sat-mon to hunt out my backdoor of my house I hunt on my few acres but have access to over 300 more acres that is around my place on the same dead end road Sure is going to be cold but my tree seat is in place on a great hill filled with large pines over looking a thicket in one direction hardwood in another.I scouted yeasterday and trails tore up the place one runs right by my seat 4 feet from it now. Reckon the deer are used to it. Next year I will make it a point to get some Goex BP but noone has it locally next time I go to Cincinnati I'll hit Bass Pro;s they carry it. Now I use a mix of traditonal gear for the gun and modern, little by little as deals can be had I plan to add items this could be addictive......... Next items to be had are a shooters possible bag for now I have a leather belt bag from cabelas for hunting.... I carry 3 extra loads in premeasured speeed loader plastic tube plus as few other items . Sooner or later a nice possible bags and make some horn speed loaders little by little on traditonal shooting items,I plan on keeping my warm comfy modern hunting clothes lol :grin: ........Once again thanks all for the great post and shared knowledge...

Sounds like you stumbled upon a sweet deal. Glad to hear you're going traditional (a piece at a time :wink: ). Good luck out there. :thumbsup:

Back