• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Alliant black dot powder

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry, I have not tried it and never will. Look at the MSDS sheet....ignition temp of 670 degrees, you are supposed to wear rubber gloves, glasses, face mask, rubber boots , etc. when handling. Doesn't sound very user-friendly to me. I don't believe the "virtually corrosion free" claim either.
http://www.alliantpowder.com/products/powder/blackmz.aspx

Last edited by a moderator:
WOW! That's some serious stuff. I don't think I want to use it either after reading the MSDS.

Read the MSDS sheets for the stuff your wife keeps under the sink or the stuff in cans, bottles, and jars by your workbench or in the garage. Bleach, ajax, floor wax, window cleaner, gasoline, paint thinner, finger nail polish remover, BLACK POWDER, bug spray, etc. etc. etc. They HAVE to put all that stuff on there for the ONE PERSON ON PLANET EARTH that might have a reaction and then get an attorney. As with anything else, use with common sense. [Which isn't common any more!]cheers Paul

Well according to the website, it's made for inlines. The recommended best load is 90 grains of the stuff, with a 240-260 grain sabot, and good results from 100 - 120 grains with a 300 grain sabot.

NOW they don't say "made for inlines" but when your only loads are for sabots..., your powder is for inlines.

LD

please corrct me if I'm wrong but is this the stuff they say will work in any muzzle loader? I know some one is making a sub that claims this.

mazo kid said:
ignition temp of 670 degrees

If that is true, this might be able to be used in flint lock, even as the priming powder. That ignition temp is not that far off from real black powder. This is the first I have even heard of this powder. Would love to hear of some tests people have done. I'll keep an eye out for some myself.

I e-mailed alliant after reading some posts here and their reply was that it would work fine in a flintlock if black powder was used in the pan.

some day some one will make a powder with charcoal saulpher and saltpeter. and call it blackpowder.

I'm firmly entrenched in the real black camp myself, but the "curious george" in me wonders how this stuff would work in a caplock revolver. Anyone try that yet?

stick with FFFg or even 4F in your revolver.
Pyro 'P' grade may be the ticket if you have'nt tryed it.
my revolvers shoot slugs better with Pyro and ball better with BP - for some unknown to me reason

Well I've heard from those who never used it and don't like it and those who love original BP but has anyone here actually used Black dot and can give the pros and cons on its performance?

It doesn't appear that anyone has tried here on this forum. Have you tried it or are you looking for information on it?

If you have used it, let us know what you think of it! :wink:

I read that the ignition temp is close to that of BP and will work in a flint. What I read and what is reality may not be the same. The corrosivness is supposed to be an par with what you would put in a 243 or shotgun. That would get me shooting my MLs again. Looking for info from someone who has tried it. Thanks

NOt tryed it yet, haven't even seen it in the stores. The plant that makeseit is in Radford Va.. Which is about 1hour and 30 min drive north of me. Will keep an eye out for it on the shelves around hare and see what I can come up with. Will let you know.

Blizzard of 93 said:
stick with FFFg or even 4F in your revolver.
Pyro 'P' grade may be the ticket if you have'nt tryed it.
my revolvers shoot slugs better with Pyro and ball better with BP - for some unknown to me reason
Pyro used to be all I could get before the internet, so yeah I've used it. Didn't care for its corrosiveness, but I'll admit I haven't had any of the storage issues some complain about here, one forgotten half-used can being more than ten years old. My local small shop has the black dot stuff on hand so trying it crossed my mind, but I wonder if it's designed with just zip guns in mind.

I did a brief internet search last night, I found nothing posted newer than 2010, mostly saying it was coming and is another ascorbic acid baised powder like APP, shochy's gole etc. If this is the case I wouldn't get too excited unless they have figured out how to get past the storage issues. YMMV

I was hoping there would be an easier way, I don't mind cleaning after a days shooting but to just go out and take a few shots then have to clean I'd rather leave them in the case and shoot the 22s. which is why I haven't shot a ML in over a year.

lizardtrack said:
I was hoping there would be an easier way, I don't mind cleaning after a days shooting but to just go out and take a few shots then have to clean I'd rather leave them in the case and shoot the 22s. which is why I haven't shot a ML in over a year.

I personally clean ANY gun I shoot no matter if its BP or modern. :2

Back