• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Alliant black dot powder

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mazo kid & lizardtrack, After reading the MSDS, I wonder if it's another ascorbic acid based propellant? Also, there's a fairly comprehensive review of Alliant's Black MZ in the April, 2012 "Handloader" (#277) magazine.

repackaged american pioneer that gets a little more stricter "panning" to keep the powder granules more uniform. Its still very bulky and not very consistent in size.

Some test done by a forum member at my place:
1ST SHOT-1687
2ND SHOT-1929 TOTAL VELOCITY-5496 AVERAGE VELOCITY-1823
3RD SHOT- 1880

ACCURAFLORIDA2009.jpg

MZ.jpg

"Handloader's" reviewer also found high, but inconsistent velocities in ML's unless it was highly compressed. Frankly, it's not something I'd be interested in using in my ML's even if I didn't have BP on hand.

Blizzard of 93 said:
stick with FFFg or even 4F in your revolver.
Pyro 'P' grade may be the ticket if you have'nt tryed it.
my revolvers shoot slugs better with Pyro and ball better with BP - for some unknown to me reason

Now I may be wrong, but I've always been told to NEVER use 4F for anything but priming. Has something changed in the last 40 years? :confused: I've never considered using it in a pistol or anything but prime.

4F as a charge in your pistol???? I would never use 4f for anything other than priming powder for a flintlock. Sure, I could be wrong but I'll stand by my statement not to use it for anything but priming powder.

Back