• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Alliant Black MZ in a flintlock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmboct19

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has tried using black mz in a flintlock, using 5 grains of BP first then main load of Black Mz, anyone tried it?

I have read on other forums of people using "duplex" loads like you describe. The thing that I look at is if you have to use bp anyway why not use it as a full charge. If you are in a place that real BP is unavailable or is cost prohibitive I would try the load you are talking about, and let YOUR muzzleloader tell you if it works. I prefer to use real BP, but if I could not get it I would try anything within reason to keep me shooting my Muzzleloaders. :hatsoff:

I tryed some a few weeks ago, and had some high expectitions, but it had a noticable delay in my flintlock. I did not try, to add any black powder to it. It did good in my caplock and Ruger Old Army, however, it seemed like it had less power. I did not get to chronograph it, so I'm only guessing.

I agree, if I have to add black powder to it, then I might as well use black powder.

Even with what seemed like less power,it did shoot very well, and I shoot some nice groups with it.
However, lower power loads, are often the most accurate loads, anyway. It cleaned up easy, and you can shoot all day without any build-up in the bore, or at least the amount that I shot.

I give it a high grade for target shooting,(in caplock), but would need more testing, before using it as a hunting load. It might be great out of a flintlock with 5 grains of black added,but I haven't had the time to get to the range to test it.

modern stuff should not go on or in flintlocks. real BP is very easy to get via online websites. its also more accurate and cheaper then the fake stuff.

-matt

I totally agree, I shoot black powder in my flintlocks, I was just curious, about their claims and wanted to see for myself. I shoot several caplock guns, and I am a curious person.

My conclusion was, Black MZ showed a noticable delay, in my rifle, and didn't seem to have a lot of "power".

Just a test.

Back