• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Almost Perfect Elk Hunt!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MFP308

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I was drawn for Arizona unit 3b just east of Show Low Arizona. Four of us put in for the muzzle loader hunt every year and this year I got drawn. After doing as much home work as I could from a distance with maps and on line searches it became clear that we would need a lot more local knowledge. Two of our party had to drop out of the expedition for one reason or another but my father-In-law Lamar stuck to the plan. Thank God he did. Turns out he knows a guy whos' nephew is an elk hunting nut and he has a cabin very near the unit and he loves to spot. Cool! Lamar and I made plans to head up north two days before opening day to scout and get to know the area. We met up with the nephew, David, at his cabin and he already had seen eight bulls that morning not fifteen minutes away. He got out the maps and showed us the knoll to climb and approximately where to watch. He also suggested two alternate spots. That afternoon Lamar and I took a hike up the knoll to have a look and to see if the elk where still around and to get a feel for the general area from high up. Well as soon as we set up the scope Lamar saw some movement not a half mile away and sure enough out walked one and then three more bulls. Three four bys and a five. Not huge but very nice looking animals. We sat and watch until the sun went down to see where they bedded down. Man that was fun. With our hunting history being more like camping with guns this had possibilities.

The next morning found us climbing the knoll at 5:30 am to see what pattern we could make out on the elk movements. As quietly as we could we made our way to our scoping spot and waited. Early morning elk are just plain beautiful. They were where we had left them. This a preserve area so no vehicles of any sort are allowed in and there are fewer people to push the elk so they are very comfortable and not spooky at all. They moved from west to east feeding. The wind is a fairly consistent south west to north east. We sat and watched for a few hours. They were out until 8:30 or so. That afternoon we made our plans. We had a few landmarks to work with so we decided that Lamar would stay on top to scope and I would work my way down the knoll a bit to be in a better position to scope the foot of the knoll and to be prepared if Lamar sighted elk. Sounded good to us. We didn't go back that evening thinking we would like to let the dust settle, so to speak, after our visits. It was Thanksgiving so we hit a local diner offering turkey and fixings. That night I was a bit excited and to tell the truth found it hard to sleep well.

The next morning I loaded my GPR .54, ate a bite to keep the energy up, jumped into the truck and headed to the knoll. We hadn't seen anybody the last two trips but as we pulled into the turn out we saw two other trucks following us, bummer, I guess our spot wasn't a secret. I hoped the pressure on the elk wouldn't be to heavy and I realized that if I was to get a good shot at 100 yards or less I would have to work my way in early. We topped out near our scoping spot and found another guy there ahead of us so we set up just a bit away from him. I headed down the hill to an area about mid way to the valley floor. Got myself settled and waited for the light get a bit brighter. At about 6:15 Lamar gave a heads up on the walky that there were five other hunters in the area. manure, it's not that large an area and five others would make the elk a bit jumpy. I put a bit more pressure on myself. The sun was making a color show on the low clouds and it was getting light quickly. Lamar called again with the announcement of elk in the open about eight hundred yards south east from our main landmark. A jolt of adrenalin hit and I had to calm myself a bit. Deep breaths work wonders. I made my way down and to my left as quietly as I could. The bottom of the knoll was still not visible due the the vegitation and I didn't want to spook anything down there. About fifteen minutes into the stalk I saw a bit of movement about three hundred yards to my front and a bit left. I froze. A very nice four by four took another step and dipped his head to take another bite of breakfast. A large hit of adrenalin ran through me. More deep breaths. I stayed frozen but looked around for better cover with my eyes and slowly worked my way to some small junipers. I poked my head out the other side to get a different angle and there wasn't just one elk down there but two and the second was the five by five. More deep breathing. I had to make a plan. As best as I could I made a path from my spot to as close as I could a head of their line of travel hoping for an ambush, rolled the dice and headed out. After my second step in the open I saw the second elk as I passed an opening. He lifted his head and I froze. What seemed like hours went by and he went back to feeding. Sweat ran down my back. I closed on my chosen spot and set up. Through a very small opening I could watch the elk make their way toward me and along a natural alley in the juniper and brush. My luck was holding. Quietly cocking the rifle I made ready. I should be only seconds before he steps into the shooting lain. Slow breathing. Ears alert. Another few hours went by. Next thing I noticed was off to my right an elk where he shouldn't be. I was out of position and he was not more than fifty yards away. Beautiful elk in the wrong spot. All I could think was not enough time to swing and get a clean shot. I froze and waited for him to clear the area and looked for the second elk I had spotted. Gone. How can almost a thousand pounds of animal disappear so quickly!? Panic and more deep breathing. As quickly as I could without sounding like a heard of elephants I made my way back up the knoll a bit and headed west to try to get ahead of the first elk. Three hours latter and no sightings of the elk with the disappearing act I met up with Lamar to tell my tale and make a new plan.

Best morning I have had in many years. Didn't really matter that no meat was made, I tell myself now. Lamar and I were out there having the time of our lives. We learned a great deal about elk hunting, I got to carry a traditional black powder rifle in pursuit of big game and got very close. I had the opportunity to spend a few days with a good friend, saw some very beautiful country and watched the sun rise over snow covered hills on a beautiful winter morning. Plus I now have an elk hunting story. All in all I can't really ask for much more than that.

Mike

Hey Mike, I agree with RC, that was a good story. I'm sorry that it didn't turn out with you carting home a couple hundred pounds of meat, but you have to admit that you were having the time of your life!

Thank you all for taking the time to read my story. That is one opening day I will remember for quite some time. Hopefully, in the near future, I'll be able to replace it with a completely perfect elk hunt. Until then I will continue to learn through reading, scouting and practicing on the small deer around here. Thanks again.

Mike

Back